jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (16 posts)

The real truth behind Hub Scores!

1. sallybea profile image96
    sallybeaposted 8 days ago

When I published a hub a couple of weeks ago it reached a score of 96.  Wow! I almost convinced myself that I had finally got it right!
    Wrong!  Two weeks later the hub now has a score of 88!   What should I read into that?  Most people say that one should not concern oneself with hub score but it does seem to me that hub score is much more a measure of how much regular traffic a hub gets rather than writing ability.
    My conclusion, if you want to see if you can improve your hub score you could try an experiment! Start sharing your highest scoring hub on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter and Flipboard if you don't already do so and see how long it takes before you notice an improvement in score.
    Don't share a hub on Flipboard which has not yet been moved to a Niche Site.  It won't be indexed until it has been.  In my case, the hub was not moved for 12 days after it was published so it lost all the additional impetus that it might have gained by being added to Flipboard right after it was published.
    Have fun.

1. kenneth avery profile image82
      kenneth averyposted 8 days ago in reply to this

"Happy Thanksgiving, sallybea."

sallybeaposted 8 days ago in reply to this

Thanks, Kenneth, we don't celebrate it much over the pond but I will save those wishes for Christmas day:)

1. kenneth avery profile image82
          kenneth averyposted 8 days ago in reply to this

@sallybea, "Deal. And if life should end for me before Christmas of 2016, I wish you and yours a Very Joyous and Merry Christmas right here. Right now."  smile

2. Genna East profile image86
      Genna Eastposted 5 days ago in reply to this

Hi Sally.  Hub and Hubber scores have always been a source of, "What the -- huh?"  for me.  The keepers of this Holy Grail  at HP will not disclose how scores are achieved, which adds to the mystique.  I noticed that once HP moved one of my more popular hubs to one of their niche sites, the hits dropped dramatically.  I'm only guessing, but I think this has something to do with the links that readers had established on the Internet recommending the hub.  Could they have been broken once the URL was changed by HP?  Thank you for this very helpful info! Happy Thanksgiving.

sallybeaposted 5 days ago in reply to this

Hi Genna,
        The hub continues to receive traffic and has a score of 89 today.  I still think that score is related to traffic but I doubt we will ever learn the real truth and my hubs on the niche sites continue to do well also.

2. EricDockett profile image95
    EricDockettposted 8 days ago

I'll be interested to hear about the results of your experiment. In my experience, scores drop following a burst of social media traffic. I reason this is because Hub score factors in things like time on page, which is likely to nosedive when many people are coming in from a social media link.

Of course I'm just guessing like everyone else. I think I'll have better luck figuring out what's in those secret hangars at Area 51 before I figure out Hub score.

sallybeaposted 8 days ago in reply to this

I think you could be right, hanger 18 in Area 51!   There is an interesting question, maybe much more interesting than hub score:)

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image90
        DzyMsLizzyposted 7 days ago in reply to this

Hahaha...agreed!

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image90
    DzyMsLizzyposted 7 days ago

My opinion/take on the matter is, if we are "not to worry about" Hub scores, and are told that "they don't mean that much,"  that begs the question, "Then why are they even there?!"

They must exist for some reason, but if we are not going to be told, then it is obviously some behind-the-scenes rating mechanism, and perhaps should not even be shown on our page. 
    Ergo, if you're not going to tell us the significance, insisting it has none, then remove them!

It is just as mysterious as Area 51--that was a good one, sallybea!  lol

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 7 days ago in reply to this

It's there primarily to stop spammers from getting dofollow backlinks.

DzyMsLizzyposted 7 days ago in reply to this

I don't understand how that can work....

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
          Marisa Wrightposted 7 days ago in reply to this

Spammers write Hubs to promote their own websites or blogs.  They want to put links in Hubs that Google will see and count towards their site's reputation.  If your score drops too low, the links on your Hubs are hidden from Google. 

So that's a deterrent for spammers - to keep your score up, you need to be active in the community or writing Hubs, and it's not worth their while to do that.

DzyMsLizzyposted 46 hours ago in reply to this

Oh, okay, now I get it...I  wasn't quite making the connection of which way around it worked... DUH...been having a lot of 'senior moments' lately...

4. Shyron E Shenko profile image84
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 5 days ago

I think it has a to do with publishing also if you publish a hub right now your Hubber score will drop by at least two points. 
    When people say it has no meaning, they are wrong, it absolutely does something to one, self esteem.

5. Shyron E Shenko profile image84
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 5 days ago

Even though we know our hub is quality.

working