jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Excessive linking?

1. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 9 days ago

I recently wrote a new hub (first in a long time) and made a "table of contents" via bullet points at the top of the hub in an effort to get into the snippets section of the SERP.  These bullets are links to later sections of the hub - will Google down check the hub for too many links?  Or will they ignore the bullet points as all links, defeating the purpose of them?  The hub is at: https://dengarden.com/home-improvement/ … ube-lights

Opinions?

2. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 9 days ago

First, thank you for making a great article. We need the experts to make articles for the sites to be successful over the long haul. We know the sites have to perform for folks to be encouraged to publish as well. Hopefully, you're seeing the benefits.

On linking with a table of contents type style, I think it doesn't work with the site as well as it once did. Mostly because we have a read more button on mobile and it doesn't play well with the anchors.

I recommend a logical layout broken out into sections with bullets and tables. This makes the article scannable.

We are finding tables as particularly effective at getting into google's answer box - rich snippets section.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 9 days ago in reply to this

Thanks, Paul.  If it doesn't take off pretty well in another month or so that may be my first effort at changing it around.

It never occurred to me to check it on the mobile unit, and it certainly should have.  *Sigh* just something more to be concerned about in the future.

*edit*  And yes, I'm certainly seeing positive results from your efforts this past year!

2. Gloriousconfusion profile image84
      Gloriousconfusionposted 9 days ago in reply to this

I've never used tables in any website -
      - What would you use them for?
      - How would you use them?
      - How would you insert them?

3. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 9 days ago

Tables are really good for organizing data and at least for today, it looks like a structure that Google is confident in understanding to use for the Answer box.

Here are a few ideas for using tables.
    1. Creating lists with multiple attributes - https://pethelpful.com/dogs/11-dogs-similar-to-wolf
    2. Comparing entities to each other
    3. Multiple columns/rows of data like you would find in a spreadsheet to create a report

Google also uses paragraphs for the Answer Box.  It seems to really help to put the question getting answered in a subheading and then clearly answering the question with the first sentence at the top of the article.

There is also a lot of churn with the Answer Box today, so it's a little early to clearly say what's the best way to structure data for the best opportunity to be displayed.

4. Let-freedom-rigng profile image62
    Let-freedom-rigngposted 9 days ago

I hope I can remember all of that.

working