jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)

Default HubPages Page

1. UnnamedHarald profile image92
    UnnamedHaraldposted 8 months ago

Dear HubPages staff,

Is there any way I can configure the default page that displays when I enter HubPages to see only hubs and not the crap questions or forum entries? I'll check out the questions/forums when I want to, but to see all the religious/political trollings posed as serious questions... well, it's just not a great gateway into HubPages. Why am I, as a HubPages member, subjected to this while non-members are greeted with actual hub entries? For the love of god, do something about this. And, for the sarcasm-challenged, this is an over-the-top request to the HubPages staff and not a serious issue in my life.

Yours Truly,
    UH

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91
      Jayne Lancerposted 8 months ago in reply to this

I absolutely agree with you.

2. FlourishAnyway profile image92
      FlourishAnywayposted 8 months ago in reply to this

Thank you for asking the question and to Glenn  for answering.  I am so tired of all of the unwelcome political and religious nonsense questions.  What nonsense.

2. Glenn Stok profile image95
    Glenn Stokposted 8 months ago

That default page you're talking about is the feed page, which is where you go when you first log in. You can control what you get in your feed in three easy steps:

1. Click the link that says "feed filters" near the top of the feed page.
    2. Then click "edit" next to Filter By Type on the right side.
    3. Then uncheck all the items you don't want to see.

I understand the OP to mean what one sees on hubpages.com when logged on, and not the feed page (http://hubpages.com/feed/).

When not logged on, I see only hubs under hubpages.com. When logged on I see mostly forum threads and Q&As regardless of my feed settings.

3. UnnamedHarald profile image92
    UnnamedHaraldposted 8 months ago

Sorry, Glenn, but the default page is "Hubs", not "Feed". I realize I can filter "Feed", but cannot filter "Hubs". When I click on "Explore" and then "Hubs", I see exactly what I see when I enter HubPages. Now if there is some way for me to specify I want to see "Feed" instead of "Hubs" when I enter HubPages, that would be acceptable, though I would prefer to see only hub articles on "Hubs"-- like what a non-Hubber sees. Thanks anyway.

Regarding this problem, Christy Kirwan recently said:

"Staff is working behind the scenes to decide the best solution to this currently. We agree; Hubbers should not have to see this kind of content unless you seek it out. It is just a matter of deciding how to implement the changes we want." http://hubpages.com/community/forum/138 … ost2848887

UnnamedHaraldposted 8 months ago in reply to this

Duh. Thanks for jogging my memory, Jayne-- especially since I replied to that same post. A little red-faced here! Still, I would think it would be an easy decision to just show Hubs like non-members see and hope it wouldn't be too difficult to implement. I will now practice patience-- until I reach another tipping point when someone asks whether I'm going to hell for not believing their particular belief or whether [candidate's name here] supporters are really as stupid as they seem.

Haha—I wouldn't have noticed you'd replied to that thread if you hadn't mentioned it.

As you say, all we really want is not to have to see the forum threads and Q&A's, but I guess it must be pretty low down on their to-do list considering how long it's taking.

2. Glenn Stok profile image95
      Glenn Stokposted 8 months ago in reply to this

That's really weird. I just went through an extensive research logging out and logging in.  I even made sure that I was on the homepage when I logged in. My default page is always the feed page. I can't figure out why it's different for you.  I don't know of any parameters that can be set to specify the default, so I don't know why my experience is different than yours.

Besides all that, I do agree that the "hubs" page should show only hubs no matter if one is logged in or not.

UnnamedHaraldposted 8 months ago in reply to this

Huh. That is weird. Count your blessings!

working