jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (20 posts)

Why only Pinterest, Flipboard, Facebook and mail as sites to share on?

1. Don Bobbitt profile image92
    Don Bobbittposted 7 months ago

I don't get into these fights and disagreements with what HP does on a regular basis. But I looked at my Hubs and I only saw the four sites; Flipboard, Pinterest, Facebook and email in my share icons over the past week or so. What happened to G+ ?????
    This one doesn't make sense to me considering most content sites live or die by the hands of the Great Google.
    Can anyone clear this one up for me, so I can go back to my reading and my writing?
    DON

1. sabrebIade profile image81
      sabrebIadeposted 7 months ago in reply to this

I can only speak for myself, but Google+ is a lot like Blogger.
      You would think that Google would give them preferential treatment since they own them but they do not.
      I get a LOT more traffic via Pinterest.

2. eugbug profile image94
      eugbugposted 7 months ago in reply to this

I don't think I ever shared directly from my Hubs to Google+ or Facebook. By default, shares go directly to personal accounts rather than Google+ or Facebook pages and I've never figured out how to get over this problem. Also Twitter sharing never added a picture to tweets so I never used it.
      Can't you post the link to the hub actually on your Google+ account/page?

1. CatherineGiordano profile image89
        CatherineGiordanoposted 7 months ago in reply to this

Yes, I finally realized the twitter button was useless because there was no picture. Now I post to my twitter account manually so I can add the picture.

3. Tinsky profile image92
      Tinskyposted 7 months ago in reply to this

I too find the lack of different social sharing icons disappointing.  While I know some commentators say they share it manually, visitors to Hubpages are not likely to share a Hub they like by going through the manual process.  Far more likely that they will share if there's a sharing button. Social media sharing buttons, I feel are more for the readers to use, than the writers.

2. Don Bobbitt profile image92

Yeah, I know, But I often write short-term articles (you know, ones with a short interesting life of 1-3 months) specifically for markets like G+. Then I will eliminate them. Now, another audience option is gone for me. Not Good to limit my audience! DON

Do you have your own G+ account. I think the G+ button always sent my hub to my G+ account. So now I add it manually.

2. sallybea profile image97
      sallybeaposted 7 months ago in reply to this

You can download a google + link to your chrome browser.  That is the way I do it.

3. Don Bobbitt profile image92

eugbug - The 4 links (icons) are right there on the left of all hubs, I even looked at one of yours. So, I'm not sure about your response?
    DON

1. eugbug profile image94
      eugbugposted 7 months ago in reply to this

What I meant Don is that I share links on social media sites by manually pasting links on the sites (rather than using the quick share buttons on hubs). I know its convenient to use the share buttons, but like I said, they don't work for Facebook, (and didn't work for Google+ when there was a share button) if you have "pages" added to your Google+ and Facebook accounts

4. Cynthia Hoover profile image94
    Cynthia Hooverposted 7 months ago

I have never had much traffic from G+ myself. I get great views from Flipboard, though the traffic is only for those hubs that I have on niche sites. I do wonder myself why the removal of G+, since I know others do have a lot of luck with traffic from that source.

I had personally wondered about using a hootsuite or similar social media sharing software to deal with the limited social shares issue. It will post to all your social medial outlets simultaneously (saves a lot of time). I just have not gotten around to checking it out yet (busy time of year).

Pocket is also a good traffic source for me, though I had not heard of it until I noticed it as a traffic source. Perhaps the missing G+ is a glitch or error?

I think HP dropped G+ and added FlipBoard because G+ doesn't seem to be all that popular. So they latched onto the net big thing.

In the past week, I put all my niche hubs onto FB (user name Cat Giordano).. Two went gangbusters for two days and then faded. The rest picked up a handful of views.

1. sallybea profile image97
        sallybeaposted 7 months ago in reply to this

They dropped Twitter and replaced it with Flipboard but twitter was useless without a means to add an image. I always did it manually although it was a pain in the neck always having to  look for an appropriate image to post with it.

2. CatherineGiordano profile image89

Cynthia: I wish FlipBoard would teat HP articles the same as any other. Judge them on their merit. I have dozens of great hubs, with high hubber scores and good traffic, but HP has not gotten around to putting them on a niche site.

Some people have said that they have written suggestions to FB, I think I send this suggestion  soon.

1. Cynthia Hoover profile image94
        Cynthia Hooverposted 7 months ago in reply to this

CatherineGiordano I totally agree! Some of my best hubs are not on niche sites. I may see about submitting the suggestion too (maybe more than one suggestion for the same thing will help)!

absolutely. They will take it more seriously if a lot of people do it.

5. makingamark profile image71
    makingamarkposted 7 months ago

In general, the only sharing that's worth doing is that which is done manually.

All the sites can tell the difference between somebody who just clicked a share link and somebody who took the trouble to copy and paste a link and add a line as a comment!

Guess which type of sharing they rank higher? wink

Thanks makingmark that is good advice. I may use the fb button when I first publish a new hub, but then I go and find that post and add my comment in the space provided.

6. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 7 months ago

I've noticed that the "H" button to share with your followers has mysteriously disappeared as well.

Your followers do get emails from HP about new hubs you post, but what if an old hub because relevant to a current event or something in the news, and you want to send the hub out. I guess Hp just doesn't want us doing that.

working