jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (13 posts)

literary and historical hubs

1. 0
    jacobt2posted 7 years ago

Most of my hubs have to do with literature, writing, and history, but I am not getting many views or comments. I think I am having trouble finding the right audience. Any suggestions?

2. JamaGenee profile image89
    JamaGeneeposted 7 years ago

Right off, I'd say:

1) Leading off with Amazon capsules is a turn off.  Put them somewhere farther down, after a visitor has have had a chance to read a couple of paragraphs. Or put them at the end.  Also the books offered should stick to the topic of the hub.

2) Not picking the right category.  Oscar Wilde *is* entertaining (and one of my favorite authors), but a review of one of his books would be more likely to be found under "Books and Writing", not "Entertainment".

3) Break up the text. Use several text capsules instead of just one.  Long paragraphs without a break cause Click-Out-Itis.

1. 0
      jacobt2posted 7 years ago in reply to this

thanks for the advice!

3. LondonGirl profile image93
    LondonGirlposted 7 years ago

Hi - I've had a look at a few of your hubs, and JG's advice is great (as always).

Firstly, you are quite new on hubpages - it takes a while to build up firstly a following on the site, and secondly backlinks and search engine maturity which brings in outside readers, too. So don't panic!

I had a look in particular at your Animal Farm hub, which I love too, and your timeline of American history one.

I write quite a lot of historical hubs, and they do get traffic and visitors, but they need either to rank in search engines, or get nice links from other historical pages. Both take a little while.

I agree with JG that starting with Amazon capsules is a bad idea, it looks to advertising-minded. Break up the text more, and then inset Amazon next to the second or third capsule, that works much better.

Your timeline one - good stuff, but needs breaking up more again, I reckon. Get a picture or two in there, or a video, and some links. The great thing about hubpages is how easy it is to create a multi-media article, and it really adds value.

Historical hubs can and do get good readership and clicks on adsense as well. My most-read historical hub is, I think, my one on the Lusitania. It gets a steady 20 - 30 views a day from search engines, and regular earnings, too. Quite a few views come through images searches too, so photos are WELL worth having.

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-sinking-of- … vors-story

4. Everyday Miracles profile image93
    Everyday Miraclesposted 7 years ago

I also agree with JG.

But I would like to insert a question in here considering LG's response (hope that's okay and won't derail too much! Bad habit! Ack!).

What is the earning potential on Historical hubs? I have a few that I intend to write as a means of increasing my own knowledge and awareness of a particular subject, which is reward enough, but it's nice to know what I'm getting into, too smile

5. LondonGirl profile image93

Don't take me as any form of expert, this is only from my experience.

Approx. 12 of my current hubs, just over a third, are historical ones. My top three earners, ahead of the pack by a distance, are my two on Easter (activities and eggs) and one on acai berries.

However, in the top ten earners are four historical hubs - Lusitania, Bringing in the May, Katherine Swynford, and historical weird taxes.

6. Everyday Miracles profile image93
    Everyday Miraclesposted 7 years ago

Your Easter hubs are fantastic, by the way. Of course they are a seasonal piece that might not earn well through the rest of the year, but I really enjoyed reading those hubs!

The Historical Weird Taxes of course is a "quirky" type of piece (the type of thing that I personally love) and that might have something to do with the earnings. The other ones you've mentioned are just fantastic hubs.

I'm going to give it a try and see what happens with it. I don't have your style, needless to say, but that at least makes each of us unique in how we write.

Thanks for the info!

7. LondonGirl profile image93

We all have our own style, and taht's what makes different hubbers fun to read!

All my historical hubs have earned at least a couple of $, and I've only recently really started writing them.

8. Kelsey Tallis profile image78
    Kelsey Tallisposted 7 years ago

I agree with what has been written so far (although I too am very new here). The Amazon ads at the very beginning are a big turn-off, as are the long paragraphs. Try using pictures and/or videos interspersed with the text to draw the reader in more. I love history and literature but the ads at the very top combined with long paragraphs made me want to click out right away. And don't bother with indenting paragraphs--all you need is a horizontal space between them :-).

9. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

I just wanted to add that it seems like you should space out your publication a bit, too, if you want Hubpage readers or your fans to give comments.  If you are publishing a bunch at once (which I have a tendency to do, given my work schedule, etc.) some do not seem to get the attention they would if introduced with a day or so in between.  Just something I noticed.

10. Rochelle Frank profile image88
    Rochelle Frankposted 7 years ago

This is a whole hubful of good advice.
    I agree that historical hubs can earn. There are always books to link.
    Sometimes your history can be tied to a place, an activity, a hobby.
    Some of my topics about California Gold Country, have ads for prospecting and panning supplies.

11. cindyvine profile image84
    cindyvineposted 7 years ago

I would say Jacob, follow the advice of these wonderful hubbers who commented before me, they know what they are talking about.  My tip though, is always include pictures, I get a lot of hits on my images.  I've just published my first history hub so will see how much traffic I get.  My travel hubs probably get the most outside traffic, once again, it's because of the photos that are included.

12. 0
    jacobt2posted 7 years ago

wow...thank you all so much for the great advice and input! it means a lot!