literary and historical hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (13 posts)
  1. profile image0
    jacobt2posted 14 years ago

Most of my hubs have to do with literature, writing, and history, but I am not getting many views or comments. I think I am having trouble finding the right audience. Any suggestions?

http://hubpages.com/jacobt2

jacob

2. JamaGenee profile image77
    JamaGeneeposted 14 years ago

Right off, I'd say:

1) Leading off with Amazon capsules is a turn off.  Put them somewhere farther down, after a visitor has have had a chance to read a couple of paragraphs. Or put them at the end.  Also the books offered should stick to the topic of the hub.

2) Not picking the right category.  Oscar Wilde *is* entertaining (and one of my favorite authors), but a review of one of his books would be more likely to be found under "Books and Writing", not "Entertainment".

3) Break up the text. Use several text capsules instead of just one.  Long paragraphs without a break cause Click-Out-Itis.

1. profile image0
      jacobt2posted 14 years agoin reply to this

thanks for the advice!

3. LondonGirl profile image82
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

Hi - I've had a look at a few of your hubs, and JG's advice is great (as always).

Firstly, you are quite new on hubpages - it takes a while to build up firstly a following on the site, and secondly backlinks and search engine maturity which brings in outside readers, too. So don't panic!

I had a look in particular at your Animal Farm hub, which I love too, and your timeline of American history one.

I write quite a lot of historical hubs, and they do get traffic and visitors, but they need either to rank in search engines, or get nice links from other historical pages. Both take a little while.

I agree with JG that starting with Amazon capsules is a bad idea, it looks to advertising-minded. Break up the text more, and then inset Amazon next to the second or third capsule, that works much better.

Your timeline one - good stuff, but needs breaking up more again, I reckon. Get a picture or two in there, or a video, and some links. The great thing about hubpages is how easy it is to create a multi-media article, and it really adds value.

Historical hubs can and do get good readership and clicks on adsense as well. My most-read historical hub is, I think, my one on the Lusitania. It gets a steady 20 - 30 views a day from search engines, and regular earnings, too. Quite a few views come through images searches too, so photos are WELL worth having.

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-sinking-of- … vors-story

4. Everyday Miracles profile image85
    Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years ago

I also agree with JG.

But I would like to insert a question in here considering LG's response (hope that's okay and won't derail too much! Bad habit! Ack!).

What is the earning potential on Historical hubs? I have a few that I intend to write as a means of increasing my own knowledge and awareness of a particular subject, which is reward enough, but it's nice to know what I'm getting into, too smile

5. LondonGirl profile image82

Don't take me as any form of expert, this is only from my experience.

Approx. 12 of my current hubs, just over a third, are historical ones. My top three earners, ahead of the pack by a distance, are my two on Easter (activities and eggs) and one on acai berries.

However, in the top ten earners are four historical hubs - Lusitania, Bringing in the May, Katherine Swynford, and historical weird taxes.

6. Everyday Miracles profile image85
    Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years ago

Your Easter hubs are fantastic, by the way. Of course they are a seasonal piece that might not earn well through the rest of the year, but I really enjoyed reading those hubs!

The Historical Weird Taxes of course is a "quirky" type of piece (the type of thing that I personally love) and that might have something to do with the earnings. The other ones you've mentioned are just fantastic hubs.

I'm going to give it a try and see what happens with it. I don't have your style, needless to say, but that at least makes each of us unique in how we write.

Thanks for the info!

7. LondonGirl profile image82

We all have our own style, and taht's what makes different hubbers fun to read!

All my historical hubs have earned at least a couple of $, and I've only recently really started writing them.

8. Kelsey Tallis profile image63
    Kelsey Tallisposted 14 years ago

Jacobt2,
    I agree with what has been written so far (although I too am very new here). The Amazon ads at the very beginning are a big turn-off, as are the long paragraphs. Try using pictures and/or videos interspersed with the text to draw the reader in more. I love history and literature but the ads at the very top combined with long paragraphs made me want to click out right away. And don't bother with indenting paragraphs--all you need is a horizontal space between them :-).

9. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

I just wanted to add that it seems like you should space out your publication a bit, too, if you want Hubpage readers or your fans to give comments.  If you are publishing a bunch at once (which I have a tendency to do, given my work schedule, etc.) some do not seem to get the attention they would if introduced with a day or so in between.  Just something I noticed.

10. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

This is a whole hubful of good advice.
    I agree that historical hubs can earn. There are always books to link.
    Sometimes your history can be tied to a place, an activity, a hobby.
    Some of my topics about California Gold Country, have ads for prospecting and panning supplies.

11. cindyvine profile image68
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

I would say Jacob, follow the advice of these wonderful hubbers who commented before me, they know what they are talking about.  My tip though, is always include pictures, I get a lot of hits on my images.  I've just published my first history hub so will see how much traffic I get.  My travel hubs probably get the most outside traffic, once again, it's because of the photos that are included.

12. profile image0
    jacobt2posted 14 years ago

wow...thank you all so much for the great advice and input! it means a lot!

jacob<><

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)