jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

Is it effective to update hubs for more views?

1. joween18 profile image81
    joween18posted 8 months ago

I began editing all of my hubs recently; I've added high-quality photos for the shows I recommend. I reorganized capsules. However, this leaves a question in my head. Is it practical to just edit a hub than deleting and publishing it again for more views? I also changed some of the titles. Will it be effective to gain more views? Please tell me your opinion. Thanks!

1. promisem profile image95
      promisemposted 8 months ago in reply to this

You could lose search engine rankings if you delete a Hub. It's better to edit it than delete it.

2. CatherineGiordano profile image90
      CatherineGiordanoposted 8 months ago in reply to this

I edit some of my hubs when I think they could benefit --if they have low hub scores or low traffic. I think it helps. I especially want to edit the hubs I did my first year. I know a lot more about how to make a great hub now.

3. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 months ago in reply to this

Deleting and publishing again will NEVER result in more views. 

The only thing that will achieve is to notify your followers that you've published a new Hub, but they are a very small number.

2. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 8 months ago

I think it's worth editing hubs than deleting them. I routinely edit every 6 months or whenever one is not getting traffic.
    Yes the views increase, some only temporarily. I don't know if this would help you or not but give it a shot.

3. Glenn Stok profile image95
    Glenn Stokposted 8 months ago

It definitely helps. There are so many things that need to be updated to do better under Google's eyes. I am constantly updating my older hubs, not only to get more traffic, but also to get moved to niche sites. Many of my updated hubs get selected and moved, in addition to the ones I submit every 60 days.

The things that I do when I update:

1. Make all images full-width so they display properly on mobile. The two-column format will eventually be discontinued anyway.
    2. Add more meaningful sub-titles. Many readers just like to scan. This helps.
    3. Double-check grammar. I amaze myself how much I used to start sentences with "so".
    4. Fix Amazon ads (capsules or text-links) to relate better to the hub's title and the subject.
    5. Correct content that no longer applies when things change.
    6. Add new content to keep it fresh. This tends to wake up Google again.

Today, being a cold snowy day, I stayed home and updated two of my hubs–and I added content to one of them that I felt was too short and wasn't getting much traffic. 

By the way, it also pays to update hubs that are performing well. I work on both. HubPages says they have a better chance of showing improved traffic than trying to fix poorly performing hubs. Nevertheless, I like to work at improving everything.

If I don't see a good result, I delete the hub. Over the seven years I've been writing on HubPages, I've had over 200 hubs. I try to keep my full list around 100 hubs since it's easier to maintain. I see that every time I read one of my old hubs, I see how I can improve it.

My revenue quadrupled in the past year without adding too many new hubs. Updating surely works.

1. CatherineGiordano profile image90
      CatherineGiordanoposted 8 months ago in reply to this

Thanks for the advice.

2. joween18 profile image81
      joween18posted 8 months ago in reply to this

Thanks for this very detailed advise. I will keep this in mind.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image91
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 months ago in reply to this

Don't you think that using Flipboard helped your views to quadruple more than just updating?  The updating may have moved them to the niche sites so that Flipboard would tag them, etc, but I suspect it is the reads from Flipboard that caused the uptick.  This definitely was true for my own hubs.

1. Glenn Stok profile image95
        Glenn Stokposted 8 months ago in reply to this

Of course Flipboard helps, but it's not consistent like Google. I always keep an eye on my traffic source, both from HubPages Stats and from Google Analytics, so I know why my traffic quadrupled.

Even though I get spurts of huge traffic from Flipboard from time to time, that doesn't compare to Google because it's not consistent. It helps and I'm glad to have it, but I see a constant flow from Google that has been increasing—especially with hubs on the niche sites.

I have to admit that there is no way to know if Google is sending more traffic because of the niche sites, or if it has anything to do with changes I've been making for mobile friendliness, ease of scanning, better titles, etc. Nevertheless, I will continue making these changes because it also gets the curators to notice and move my hubs to niche sites.

working