jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (13 posts)

Advice on my first Hub

1. AceCarn profile image61
    AceCarnposted 6 months ago

I am just starting out on Hubpages and my first article was unpublished within a day, but looking at it I didn't understand why. I edited it, expanded it, and republished it, and I was wondering (if you have some spare time) if you could tell me what you think of it. I would appreciate any constructive criticism.

Thanks big_smile

AceCarnposted 6 months ago in reply to this

Of course leaving out the link wouldn't help... tongue
      Here it is:
      http://hubpages.com/literature/Read-mor … Resolution

2. Sherry Hewins profile image94
      Sherry Hewinsposted 6 months ago in reply to this

I like it, it's good advice. The main problem I see with it is that the title is not "evergreen." That is something HP and Google are looking for. I think your hub, in general, is evergreen. It's just that the title makes it seem to have a short shelf-life. This is not advise just for 2017!

How about: Enrich Your Life - Read More Books!

I did notice one tiny error, in the phrase "In coming years there is a lot of things" it should be "there are a lot of things."

1. simplehappylife profile image81
        simplehappylifeposted 6 months ago in reply to this

That's a good point regarding the evergreen issue.  "Enrich Your Life -Read More Books!" is a GREAT suggestion!

2. simplehappylife profile image81

LOL...Sherry, I just realized you picked out the same error I did!  That's funny...Are instead of Is wink

3. AceCarn profile image61

Thanks a lot, I fixed the stuff you mentioned.

4. AceCarn profile image61

Thanks again guys. It's on HubpagesPro now smile

3. greenmind profile image90
      greenmindposted 6 months ago in reply to this

I bet all those bullet point lists tripped a filter of some kind and got you unpublished. But here you are, on a niche site with your first hub! Nice ork and keep at it. Maybe something on music?

2. simplehappylife profile image81
    simplehappylifeposted 6 months ago

Overall, I think it's well-thought out.  Changing it up just a little may make a big difference.

(1)  Replace the word "IS" with "ARE" after the words "In the coming years there ARE a lot of things..."

"In coming years there is a lot of things you will look back on and wish you hadn't done, but reading good books won't be one of them.

(2)  Try adding 2 - 3 more quality images smile

(3)  Maybe think about changing the title to something like "2017 Book Reading Challenge"  just a thought (sounds more like an "article").

(4)  Split the writing up into more palatable capsules/sections (with titles).  For example, create a capsule with the subtitle that says something like "Suggested Reading for 2017"  and then list the bulleted list you have.  Capsules are a major tool.  You can swing over and check out some of my articles, all are featured hubs, a handful of them have been moved to HubPages network sites.  You can see how I've laid them out and get an idea of what I'm trying to explain smile 

Also, Marisa Wright (veteran hubber) has an excellent piece on how to optimize your hub.  Worth reading smile 

http://hubpages.com/community/My-HubPages-Tips

Hope that helps smile

I thought about adding more images but I felt that would ruin the flow. Where would you suggest I add them?

First, split your work up in capsules with subtitle headers.  I would take Sherry's suggestion and make the topic more universal/evergreen rather than particular to a year.  You may want to split capsules up by book genre and give each section a snappy little title.  Once you have those in place, then it will be easier to come up with a few more images (HubPages is big on visual appeal, it's what drives people to want to read your article even more).

With images, you can hit the little green arrow in the image edit box (side/up/down arrows), and it will move your image to align with your text (to keep the flow).  They don't have to be huge.  Just play with it smile

Thanks big_smile

I added headings and one picture. I might add another picture tomorrow hmm

And I already made it evergreen wink

Thanks again smile

You're So Welcome smile  Welcome to HubPages smile

working