jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Responding to comments

1. Rupert Taylor profile image94
    Rupert Taylorposted 5 months ago

Sometime ago I wrote a Hub about Eugene "Bull" Connor. For those who don't know he was the racist Commissioner of Public Safety in Birmingham, Alabama in the 1960s and the man who turned attack dogs, billy clubs, and fire hoses loose on civil rights marchers.

Today I received the following comment from one Howard Gadsen "I support and believe in Eugene bull whip conners. He stood for white supremacy which was right. He was a good police officer in white segregated Alabama. We need more white police. Officers like bull whip Connors. He and the Alabama police officers beat the devil out of the civil rights movement leaders and peoples. He will go down in history as a great white segregationist in 1962 " There's more of the same.
    Question. Do I approve such odious comments on the principle of free speech or do I muzzle him on the grounds that it borders on hate speech? Neither option appeals to me. I would particularly value the advice of people of colour.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 5 months ago in reply to this

We recommend deleting these types of comments rather than approving them because Google considers comments to be a part of your content, and leaving it up may result in search engines penalizing your article in general for hate speech.

1. Rupert Taylor profile image94
        Rupert Taylorposted 5 months ago in reply to this

Thanks so much for your input. I will act accordingly.

2. Dolores Monet profile image92
    Dolores Monetposted 5 months ago

If I found a comment that I thought was offensive, I would not allow it. The article is your own work and you do not need to respond to every single comment. Free speech means that we, as a people, are entitled to criticize our government without retribution. Free speech does not mean that anyone can say anything anywhere they want to.

working