Arrgghhh!!!!! NOW What???

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (32 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 7 years ago

Okay...what gives???  WHO LET THE BOTS OUT?

I just spent most of the last two weeks editing hubs that had the NEW hub pro and the added red exclamation point edit marks...and all seemed fine.

Now, all of a sudden, this evening, my account listing seems flooded with the old-style editbot icons!!
    and many of them are hubs I just finished going through on the first round! 

The edits seem to be in the comments, which the prior (new) bot already addressed, and what is ironic, is that the "corrections" seem to have neglected to leave a space between the corrected word and the word following...thus creating its own error!
    I'm feeling quite frustrated and testy!

(And NO, this was NOT addressed in the FAQs, or at least not in a search-friendly fashion!)

1. sallybea profile image95
      sallybeaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I feel as dismayed as you do.  I have a sea of grey symbols which have turned up overnight and when I click on them I get directed to the relevant page but I cannot for the life of me get it to disappear!  Help!

2. CatherineGiordano profile image77
      CatherineGiordanoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm ignoring the bots. I don't have time for this nonsense. Sometimes it seems like HP is just sadistic.

1. Thelma Alberts profile image90
        Thelma Albertsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I am getting tired of seeing a lot of changes here and it makes me headaches. I am already busy of updating unfeatured hubs to make them featured again. They were all featured before. I don't  even have time to write a new one. Just keep on updating.

3. Natalie Frank profile image91
      Natalie Frankposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes I know, it appears the bots are running around creating havoc right now especially for the hubs that are transferred to niche sights right away.  I am beginning to hate both the color red and exclamation points as the signal a bot taking something perfectly functional according to American grammar and changing it to make the sentence of title mean something I didn't intend.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

It is irritating that they've done this - BUT if all the corrections are in the comments, why worry?

Yes, the editbot makes mistakes - but 9 times out of 10, it gets it right.

Before editbot, we had NO power to correct ANY mistakes in our comments and we didn't get our knickers in a knot about it.  Now, editbot is fixing MOST of the errors in our comments and you're all in a flap??

Don't have a problem with editbot except to say that there is no way to remove the icon at the moment which means that we don't know which ones we have already checked.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image89
        Christy Kirwanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Clicking on the icon to view the changes will get rid of the red exclamation point, and the icons themselves will go away within a couple weeks.

I don't have a red exclamation point this time, they are all grey.

Ah, you're right. We were discussing reverting the icons to the original EditBot symbol to make things clearer, but I wasn't sure if that change had been made yet. You can click on the bots to see the corrections and they'll disappear on their own eventually.

I have done that, they don't disappear this time either.

Sorry, I was unclear. Previously, the icons were editing pencils with a little red exclamation point. Viewing the changes would get rid of the exclamation point, but not the pencil. The pencils have been changed to the EditBot symbol in order to make it 100% clear that the corrections are EditBot corrections and not changes made by HP Editors. The EditBot symbols will not disappear after viewing the changes, but they will disappear from your articles on their own (whether or not you have viewed the corrections) within the next few weeks.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Marisa:
      See sallybea's post, right below yours; THAT is what the problem is!!  Inability to distinguish between new alerts, an finished ones, since it seems (according to Christy) that it may take weeks for them to "eventually" disappear.  mad

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

But the point is, MsLizzy, that even if you go and look at these alerts, there is nothing you can do about them. So there is no point in even looking. 

Why they are even there boggles the mind.  Christy says the decision was taken when she wasn't there. I think she's just too polite to say she thinks it's stupid.

3. lbrummer profile image94
    lbrummerposted 7 years ago

I seem to remember that the last time we were blessed with the editbot the problem was highlighted.  This time it's almost impossible to know what the editbot is for. 
    It sure would be nice to be able to be able to get back to our HubPages account page from a niche page when editing a niche article.

4. Kylyssa profile image90
    Kylyssaposted 7 years ago

I think they just replaced the green icon with a red mark on it with the robot icon. If so, I approve, because I couldn't tell which hubs of mine had been edited by a human and which only by the bot.

5. LiteraryMind profile image90
    LiteraryMindposted 7 years ago

I don't get it.  These are the very same corrections that Editbot pointed out last time there was a go round.  So I would think they would be corrected by now.  It's as if they reverted to old versions, and put back in the old incorrect items.

1. Kylyssa profile image90
      Kylyssaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I think they are the very same edits, but that changing the icon back to something that wouldn't be confused with the HubPro human editing icon put all the notices you'd cleared by looking at them back on your dashboard.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image89

They are the same edits, the icon just indicates that the changes have been made permanent. The icons will disappear within the next few weeks. They were intended as a temporary notification.

1. psycheskinner profile image82
        psycheskinnerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

My I humbly suggest that using a symbol that has one meaning (new changes made, please review), with no context or explanation, to have a completely opposite meaning (old changes made permanent, no further input required)... isn't likely to work very well?

It's like sticking out orange road cones to indicate you've finished fixing the road and no caution is required.

I was not in the office when this decision was made and do wish we'd had better communication around these changes.

2. sallybea profile image95

Thanks, Christy!  I wonder if you can tell me whether the edibot counts as a visitor on the analytics page, please?

It does not. No worries there. smile

6. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 7 years ago

I think it's a glitch.

1. Kylyssa profile image90
      Kylyssaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Me, too. I think it's just something that happened when they decided to make the notification icons less confusing. I was not a fan of the way they were doing it a few days back with red exclamation points inside green HubPro editing icons.

7. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 7 years ago

If it is not a glitch then new editbot has been changed to make our preferences less important and harder or impossible to apply to our own hubs.  Not a good change.

And I care about edits in comments because people may assuming *I* am editing their comments for some reason, like to introduce errors and make them look dumb.

I am seriously considering turning comments off on all my hubs as I just don't agree with editing other people's comments for any reason.  I think respecting their control over their own words is more important than SEO.

8. Robin profile image87
    Robinposted 7 years ago

I just spoke with one of our engineers, and we are working on a way to have the icon disappear after you view the edit.  I hope that helps!

Perfect, thank you, Robin.

9. Robin profile image87
    Robinposted 7 years ago

The edit bot symbol will now disappear after you view the edit.  smile

Thank you, Robin. I see that mine have disappeared on their own with no help from me:)

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yay!!  Thank you so much for this!  That will be so much less confusing!  :-)

3. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

smile Mine are already gone.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)