jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (6 posts)

What happens to Hubpage writers when net neutrality goes?

1. TessSchlesinger profile image92
    TessSchlesingerposted 4 months ago

Donald Trump has just elected Ajit Pai to head the Federal Communications Commission. He is strongly opposed to net neutrality and will probably override the decidion reached last year to keep net neutrality. I'm not that much of a technical boffin (understatement). However I gather that the sties we can reach will then be dependent on which ISP we use, and that it will become a lot more expensive to use the internet.

Please can someone explain this to me. Thanks.

http://nymag.com/selectall/2017/01/say- … book_nymag

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 4 months ago in reply to this

According to Forbes many media outlets are misconstruing Pai's position and conflating his views on net neutrality with his views on whether or not ISPs should be classified as public utilities.  ISPs being classified as public utilities implies they are subject to net neutrality rules, and Pai disagrees with that classification but still agrees with neutral net principles in general.  http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrydownes … 24c5f4c7f2

I suppose what's really going on is mainstream media outlets are pouncing on Pai because Trump appointed him as the new chair of the FCC.  If they'd bother to check Pai's employment history, they'd see that Obama appointed him to a position at the FCC in 2011 and Trump merely promoted him --  most likely out of laziness because it's easier to promote from within than search the whole bureaucrat scene for a new chair.

1. gerimcclym profile image85
        gerimcclymposted 4 months ago in reply to this

Never trust mainstream media. lol.

1. Will Apse profile image91
          Will Apseposted 4 months ago in reply to this

Professionals..... journalists. Works of the devil..

1. TessSchlesinger profile image92
            TessSchlesingerposted 4 months ago in reply to this

Ha! At thi point, I stick to international newspapers which I know are more or less above board. Note: more or less. I also check most things six times over. In this case, I don't know what to believe. I just don't want to find that suddenly my hubpages don't get any traffic! sad

2. TessSchlesinger profile image92
        TessSchlesingerposted 4 months ago in reply to this

Thanks. It had me worried for a moment or two. I would hate traffc on the web to slow down because  whole lot of people suddenly found it unaffordable. Thanks again. smile

working