jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

Not more than 1 Instruction capsule per Hub?

1. Titia profile image92
    Titiaposted 2 months ago

I'm in the process of editing my recipe hubs and discovered that you can use the Instruction capsule only one time per hub. Why on earth is that?

As I work mostly step by step it would be so much easier if we could use this instruction capsule more than once. Now I have to use the text capsule if I want to show multiple instructions.

Not user friendly and very confusing I think.

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 2 months ago

Titia, there is a reason why you can only use one instruction capsule. It creates structured code snippets that Google uses to create a useful snippet of your recipe directly in the SERPs.

That single snippet needs to contain the entire set of instructions for your recipe. It's the internal workings of Google and HubPages is simply interfacing with it properly. You should be happy for this because it increases the changes of your recipe getting noticed, if you use it right.

With that said, I actually understand your frustration. I ran into a similar problem with one of my recipes. I would recommend the following idea that I used. Make one instruction capsule for the summary of all the steps. Then use text capsules to elaborate on each step as you wish.

Look for my "Scrambled Egg Cheese Omelet Sandwich" hub to see how I did it. I have the summary in a single instruction capsule. And I detailed everything is various text capsules.

1. Titia profile image92
      Titiaposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Ok thanks Glenn, that makes sense.

2. SakinaNasir53 profile image84
      SakinaNasir53posted 2 months ago in reply to this

That was an amazing hub Glenn. I referred to it before making my first recipe hub as I wasn't sure what to do. My hub got moved after some days. smile

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
        Glenn Stokposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Good for you!  It pays off to make a stellar hub. smile

3. Titia profile image92
    Titiaposted 2 months ago

Another Question:

How do you know what the nutrician value of for instance a cake is? Where do you get those facts? Through the internet I suppose, but is there an easy to use website somewhere?

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
      Glenn Stokposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Most of the ingredients I used have that information on the jar, bottle, or box. I just needed to do the arithmetic to relate it to the proportions I used in my recipes.

For those items that I didn't have the information, I looked it up with Google. Then I put it all into an Excel Spreadsheet to make things easy to get the final figures that need to be plugged into the nutrition info capsule. 

It get easier as you create more recipe hubs. I keep reusing the same spreadsheet I made, and I just add whatever new items are needed.

1. Titia profile image92

Ok, thanks. More work to do smile I'm gonna make sure I get my recipes in order first and get the photos I used back on my pc.  I lost all my HP maps including the used pictures due to an external harddisc crash (the only one I had forgotten to make a backup from). I can always add the nutrician capsule later.

1. Virginia Allain profile image67
          Virginia Allainposted 2 months ago in reply to this

there is actually a calculator online that you can use. https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp

1. Titia profile image92

Thanks Virginia.

working