jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

Photo Credits

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image92
    DzyMsLizzyposted 2 months ago

Though I have been a hobby photographer ever since I was 8 years old, and have a ton of pictures, they are all old color prints, and the resolution is not good enough to scan for online use.  That is, if I could even find them anymore, stored as they are in various boxes and albums.  On top of that, they are mostly family trip shots, and not taken of anything I would be writing about years later.  (Little did I know!)

So, ironically, I find myself searching the web for images to use in my articles. I am finding a lot of useful images on the Flickr/Creative Commons/Commercial use license pages.  Which brings me to my question:
    I am getting a case of lazy fingers, crediting all those images correctly, wink so, after naming the site, and the photographer, is it then acceptable to just type, "CC" instead of typing out the words, "Creative Commons?"

2. Marisa Wright profile image94
    Marisa Wrightposted 2 months ago

There is no need to mention Creative Commons at all, actually.   The important thing with a CC licence is to link to the photographer.  If all the rest of the detail gets lost, it's no big deal.

DzyMsLizzyposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Oh, UGH!!  I'm putting their name, to credit them, but not as a link..  sad  because with all the photos I have/need in this one article, it would get slapped for being 'overly promotional.' 

It's a traveler's guide, and is as much photo essay as it is informational.

2. kenneth avery profile image81
      kenneth averyposted 2 months ago in reply to this

@Marisa, I have been doing what DzyMsLizzy is now doing--giving the site credit and photographer as well as CCO License. Now I do not have to do that? The mentioning of "Commons," right?

3. Bob Bamberg profile image93
    Bob Bambergposted 2 months ago

It's been so long since I've written a hub, I no longer know how to even use the site because of all the changes they've made, but I'm writing regularly on another site and I use Flickr Creative Commons exclusively.  I copy and paste the URL of the picture at the end of my posts.

Yes, but Hub Pages counts outbound links, including those for photo credits, as "promotional," for purposes of rating whether a hub is "spammy" or not.

This particular article uses 18 photos!  That would not be a good number of outbound links to have!

1. Bob Bamberg profile image93
        Bob Bambergposted 2 months ago in reply to this

HubPages sure doesn't make it easy, do they.

2. Marisa Wright profile image94
        Marisa Wrightposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Flickr is exempt

Oh, okay.. good to know...

(UGH!  Which now means I have a LOT of re-editing and re-finding to do...  )  sad

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image92

Does the link have to go to the specific photo you used, or just to that person's Flickr page?

4. RonElFran profile image96
    RonElFranposted 2 months ago

I normally have 3 to 5 (my max is 11) free images per hub chosen from any number of free or CC sources, including a lot from flickr. I've never given a thought to having too many from the same site, and have never had a problem. There seems to be a general exemption regarding photo sites.

When HP was considering one of my hubs for Hub of the Day they told me what they wanted in terms of listing sources. The format I've used since, and never had any problem with, is:

TijsB via Wikimedia (CC BY 2.0)    [ with a link to the source ]

Works for me!

working