jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Formatting an interview article

1. Garry Reed profile image93
    Garry Reedposted 3 months ago

Can't find this discussed anywhere:

I'd like to write an interview article. Does HubPages have a standard format that should be used? I've seen many interviews on many sites that begin with an introduction and then a Q&A with the interviewer asking a question and the interviewee responding. Do I just say QUESTION: and ANSWER: in all caps? bold? colon? followed by the text? Do I group each individual Q and A under a capsule header? Or am I free to just use my own formatting based on my own way of doing these types of articles at other places at other times? Anyone?

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 3 months ago

I have seen some interview Hubs but I can't recall any specific formats. 

What I did on my site, to keep it simple, was put my questions in bold and the answer in plain text, e.g.

How did you get started with belly dancing?
    I began belly dancing to lose the weight everyone seems to put on in their first year of university.  I hate exercise with a passion but dancing never felt like exercising!  My teacher Despina Rosales, seemed to think I had some sort of potential.

What is your favourite belly dancing style and/or prop?
    Probably the old school Balady Accordian – it’s just so organic and soft and strong all at once.  You can really feel the emotion and get stuck into it and not have to worry about anyone or anything .  It’s a very personal, very selfish ‘me’ style that you can get lost in. 

I don't think you need "Question" and "Answer" because your question is going to have a question mark, so it's pretty obvious (unless you are asking really long questions, but then that's not good interview technique).  You could use the names of the interviewer and interviewee if you want, though.

Garry Reedposted 3 months ago in reply to this

Marisa, thanks. I found one or two HubPages like that and wondered if the bold questions were just that or if they were put in the subhead capsule. Maybe it doesn't matter.

If HubPages doesn't have a set format for this I guess what I'll do is just do it and publish it and see how they respond, then go from there.

Thanks for the feedback!

1. lobobrandon profile image84
        lobobrandonposted 3 months ago in reply to this

No, please do not put it at the capsule title. Because then your questions are not just bold, but also Headers. You don't want to do that.

3. lobobrandon profile image84
    lobobrandonposted 3 months ago

Depends on your topic. Like Marisa says long questions are not a good interview technique, but when it comes to business or economics in general or science there are bound to be long questions. In that case you may want to go with names instead of bolding the question.

Garry Reedposted 3 months ago in reply to this

In writing an interview article I like to use my own introduction and longish questions in order to make the article mine. Otherwise 95% of the article is the interviewee's responses, meaning that the subject is writing the article for me. I know the focus should be on the interviewee but the interviewer/writer needs to include value-added text as well.

So I'd expect to do something like this, with both ME and PERSON in bold:

ME: Asking the question text....

PERSON: Responding to the question text ....

1. lobobrandon profile image84
        lobobrandonposted 3 months ago in reply to this

Seems fine. Give it a go and see what happens smile

working