jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

New Review Process?

1. Natalie Frank profile image96
    Natalie Frankposted 5 months ago

In the last day I have come across a few differences when I send a hub for review.  First there is a page that comes up that requires me to check a box attesting to my confirmation that I will only publish high quality hubs  (Not sure of the usefulness of this - I'm sure no one thinks they would rather publish poor quality hubs and when there are poor quality hubs it is a matter of poor writing, conceptualization, research or other skills not intending to publish poor quality hub or just laziness).  Then when I have published two new hubs there is no longer the symbol with the two arrows in a circle which comes up and they both are just blank where the icon should be.  Is this a glitch or something new?  Also how often are hubs now evaluated with status changed? I'm still having problems with Dog Birthday Party hub and have edited it now 13 times.  Every time I edit it, it is featured but only for a matter of hours - sometimes as few as three or four at which point it is no longer featured due to quality.  It still seems judgement as to overall "worth" of a topic must be going into it as I have edited, cleaned up any errors, made grammatical and punctuation corrections, reworded and reworded until I think I may have reworded some things back to their original wording, added capsules, research, references, options, advice, practical suggestions, added entire new sections, rewritten entire sections, along with a whole host of other edits.  It just seems possible that the very topic of Dog Birthday Parties may be considered "fluff" no matter how well the article is written or how much information, practical and entertaining, may be included.  Which would mean the accompanying article which is a gluten free recipe for a dog cake that can be eaten by people and dogs with information on what fruits and vegetables that dogs can eat and how incorporating them into a dogs diet can improve their health, techniques useful in baking a cake such as folding in ingredients,and for the people dessert wine pairings that go well with the cake.  This is the other one that has no icon letting me know what is going on with it.  Does anyone out there have info on thoughts on any of this? Thanks.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 5 months ago in reply to this

I just took a look at your article on dog birthday parties. It looks like the two links to outside sites are potentially problematic; I recommend removing them as well as the Amazon product (remember, you must give information on why you are recommending a product and include your own experience with it). One of your photos is badly pixellated, and I also notice that you do not talk about your own dogs or your experience throwing them parties. Articles like this are considerably more valuable to readers when personal details and anecdotes are included.

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 5 months ago

I looked at that hub that you say keeps getting unfeatured. I noticed a few things that need your attention..

1. Your paragraphs in your hub are very long. I see you have a habit of this since your post here is just one long paragraph. They should be limited to two or three sentences, four if necessary with few exceptions. When people see that, they tend to click away without wanting to read. That increases your bounce rate and shortens your view duration. Both hurt your ranking.

2. Is your hub a review of muffins pans or is it a recipe?  I say this because you threw in an Amazon Capsule for a muffin pan. That does not relate 100% to the subject. Check out the updated rules about Amazon capsules in the learning center. In any case, you also should include text in the capsule  explaining how you use it and why you recommend it.

3. You really should include an author bio. Make one for each of the types of subjects you write about and then assign them to your hubs. You can have up to 25 bios.

4. If this is a recipe hub you should have just one "instructions" capsule. I can't tell for sure, but you either used text capsules for your instructions or you included several instruction capsules for the continuation of your instructions. That doesn't work well with Google since they can only apply one set of instructions for possible use of snippets in the SERPs.

3. lobobrandon profile image85
    lobobrandonposted 5 months ago

I have to agree with everything Glenn said, especially the long paragraphs. I literally forced myself to read your forum thread as I knew the problem you're facing with this hub. It was a hard read.

Apart from the points he mentioned:

- Proofread. I didn't read more than 4 sentences and I found an error where you use cam instead of can.

- Bracket use. You have text in brackets which is nearly as long as the rest of the paragraph. Doesn't seem professional IMO.

- More headings would definitely help. There's just too much text between your subheadings. Include more headings or try and use bullet point, numbered lists, etc. to break things up a bit.

There's no problem with the topic, you got a lot of information. Just make sure there are no redundant words or sentences in the article (I didn't read through).

4. Natalie Frank profile image96

Thanks for your help.  Though they had the most traffic of any of my hubs I have decided to delete them.  I appreciate your feedback and will keep it in mind for future hubs as I realize I have a problem with being wordy.

1. lobobrandon profile image85
      lobobrandonposted 4 months ago in reply to this

Why did you delete it? Implement the changes and get it through the QAP process. As Glenn pointed out, it's very likely that you will learn a lot that you can apply to new and even your existing niche site hubs to make them even better.

Being wordy is not a problem tongue Maybe it read really well, but if it doesn't look good no one is going to start reading, the majority won't. Aesthetics is an important part of writing online.

2. Sherry Hewins profile image96
      Sherry Hewinsposted 4 months ago in reply to this

Don't do that! Christy has told you what the problem is

3. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 4 months ago in reply to this

Natalie, I'm beginning to think that HubPages needs to change its wording - because when a Hub is "unFeatured for Quality",  it's very unlikely there is anything wrong with the quality

UnFeatured for Quality means you broke a rule, that's all. You can beef up the content all you like, but until you remove whatever is breaking a rule, you won't get anywhere.

In your case it was the Amazon capsules and links.

5. Natalie Frank profile image96

Though still unclear re: every edit resulting in feature then unfeatured again in a few hours.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
      Glenn Stokposted 4 months ago in reply to this

The reason why they get unfeatured after you edit is because every time you edit it has to go through the QAP again by Mturk – and since you have these issues that Brandon, Christy, and I mentioned, it will keep failing the QAP.

Why have you decided to delete your hubs? You put so much effort into it already. Why not put a little more effort into addressing these issues instead. If nothing else, it will be a good learning experience for you that you can continue to apply to your future hubs as well.

2. Jean Bakula profile image94
      Jean Bakulaposted 4 months ago in reply to this

Natalie,
      I'm a long winded writer myself, many of my hubs clock in at 3,000 words. I research things to death, and have many years of experience with my niche topic.

As I go back to fix old hubs, I've learned to make a lot more small paragraphs. I am a reader, so reading long bits of text doesn't bother me. But it does bother most people, so as suggested here, try to just keep the words, but split it into 4 or 5 sentences a paragraph. I've gotten away with bigger,

Also, the pictures should be full width now, so sometimes add a good picture, it helps break it up a little for non readers. Don't delete it, it's good. It just needs work. And the moderators are very picky, IMHO.
      Good luck.

working