jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

Quotes in comments

1. William F. Torpey profile image80
    William F. Torpeyposted 5 months ago

Why do comments on my hubs show this:

The Bush-Maliki “Agreement”

instead of this:

The Bush-Maliki "Agreement"

?????

1. lobobrandon profile image83
      lobobrandonposted 5 months ago in reply to this

This is just the HTML character code. If you're seeing this it's most likely because the character set being used is not declared in the document or something else on these lines.

If you want to know more check this out: https://dbaron.org/www/quotes

2. William F. Torpey profile image80
    William F. Torpeyposted 5 months ago

Whoever put it there should take it away and leave it the way it was orignally -- the way it should be!

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 5 months ago in reply to this

Are you talking about a comment someone left on your hub?

This can happen when someone copies and pastes text from a source that uses slanted or curly quotes (also called smart quotes or fancy quotes, there's a lot of names for them, lol) and the form they are pasting the text into is not configured to render them or convert them to straight quotes. 

If you don't like the appearance of the comment you can simply deny and delete it.  If you otherwise like the content of the comment and you want to keep it, you'll have to make peace with the bad formatting of quotes. 

Did you read lobobrandon's link?

William F. Torpeyposted 5 months ago in reply to this

No. The comments were correct when they were made originally but somehow the quotation marks were changed. I spent  enough time on this -- forget it.

2. lobobrandon profile image83
      lobobrandonposted 5 months ago in reply to this

Yes, as calculus geometry says, it's someone who copied something from another website that uses a different html character code base. I can't think of the right technical word right now.

3. ibuh benhar profile image60
    ibuh benharposted 5 months ago

Those who are breaking the law are, in fact, costing the nation something over $10,000 each.  Per year.  That doesn't seem very valuable to me...

4. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 5 months ago

Add a link to the comment and we will take a look.

Thank you.

Here is a link to the Hub that shows the problem:

http://hubpages.com/politics/Heres-A-Ca … p-Promises

Here is a comment that shows it:

You look pretty relaxed there William sitting at your typewriter at the Hour. Very nice pic. Reminded me when I worked at the "Transcript" my local newspaper. They asked me to help them out for 1 night and I ended up staying there 8 years, just one night a week though. I was a good loyal dependable helper!!!!!

Congratulations for your run for President. I don't know William, (shaking head), I really don't know if this is a good idea. My fear....Will America know what to do with a SMART President????

B.T. please don't read between the lines here. I know I sort of maybe promised you kind of that you would have my vote.

working