Opening links or articles in a new tab

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Venkatachari M profile image87
    Venkatachari Mposted 7 years ago

Why can't we get the links opened in a new window?
    When reading an article or viewing the HubPages feed, etc., we would like to keep the original page intact open and view any linked pages, that open up when clicked on the related articles, posts or links, in a new tab instead of logging out of that original page that we are still reading or browsing.
    Is it not possible or not such an easy task to program the links like that?

2. Glenn Stok profile image95
    Glenn Stokposted 7 years ago

Are you right-clicking?  That's how you get the option to open a link in another browser tab.

Venkatachari Mposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Just I checked it that way. It opens in a new tab. But that page is not in your front in the new tab. It needs your click in the new tab to view it.
      I mean that they should open up just like when you click on the link to your emails. When you are clicking at the link to your email, the link automatically opens up in a new tab and is before your eyes to be viewed. After viewing it, you can close that page and your original page will be in front of you automatically. I wanted this system to be enabled for all links.

1. eugbug profile image95
        eugbugposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You can use a utility called DeskPins to keep a window of an application always on top. The window can be resized and moved around and it's really useful if for instance you need to copy and paste from one application to another, refer to text in another application, use the calculator etc.

Irrelevant reply. No need for that advice.

Ok, thanks for the appreciation?! It may help others though.

1. ChristinS profile image40
              ChristinSposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It was helpful actually, I'd never heard of it.  Thank you.

You're welcome Christin!
                I've written a hub about it also (check my profile for the link!)

Glenn Stokposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It must be your browser settings. When I right-click on any link on a webpage, I get a menu of options. I choose the option to open in another tab. It opens with no problem.

Then when I close that tab, the original tab is still open. I can even go back and forth between the two tabs without closing either one if I need to use both webpages simultaneously.

So with that said, how does that compare to your experience Ven?

1. tsmog profile image84
          tsmogposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that bit of valuable information Glenn. All the years on the internet I never knew that. It works great with Firefox being the first option in the list. I was always irritated opening something in the feed and then have to give swift attention rather than look at my leisure.

2. Venkatachari M profile image87

But, Glenn, I am not having it like that with my computer. Might be my browser (if you are correct). I should check it on another system (my son's laptop).
          My version is Windows7 professional.
          But, I do not have any problem with my blog. They open in new windows always and I can keep open 3, 4 windows and refer each one without any problem.
          But, why not the links be programmed to open automatically in a new tab without the need to right click. I never right click at any site except when I want to copy a photo.

1. Glenn Stok profile image95

Ven, that is also an option you can set in your browser options. You can set it so that any time you left-click on a link, it opens in a new tab. If you set it to work that way, then you no longer need to right-click. It saves an extra step.

I personally don't like to use that option. I prefer to let the default open in the "same" tab. I find it easy enough to right-click when I want to open in another tab. But that's all personal choice. You do what you are comfortable with and what meets your needs.

Okay. Thanks for the nice advice.

3. theraggededge profile image97
        theraggededgeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

In Firefox, go to Menu/Settings/General.

Scroll down to Tabs.

Tick the options:

Open new window in new tab

and

When I open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately.

That's it. Close settings

So when you right click/Open in new tab, that tab will be uppermost. Hope that solves the problem.

3. gsmathroy profile image58
    gsmathroyposted 7 years ago

Upgrade your browser and restart the whole system of the operating system. I think your browser working now.

You didn't understand my question correctly. By viewing above comments, you must have known my problem by now (just as Glenn Stok understood).

4. eugbug profile image95
    eugbugposted 7 years ago

You can also use DeskPins to keep a second instance of your browser on top, which is effectively the same as being able to view two tabs at the same time.

1. theraggededge profile image97
      theraggededgeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

But you can do that anyway with no need for third party software. Just launch the browser twice. It means moving the cursor to the taskbar to select which instance you want to use.

Yes but the whole point of the utility is that you don't have to switch between instances on the taskbar. You can simply overlay a browser window or other application on top of the active window. Maybe there is a facility for doing this in more recent browsers/operating systems. I'm still using Vista.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13444301_f1024.jpg

You can better launch the browser as many times you want to open as many sites or articles and keep them sized to fit your screen. No need for Deskpin or any other tool for that.

Yes, but with Deskpins or other similar utility, you can keep your working window maximised, and just resize overlayed windows and move them around as needed. It's can also be used with other applications such as the calculator, email client, cad/drawing application etc.

Okay, thanks for the information.

Most browsers allow you to open a link in a new tab OR in a new window so you can overlay the window as you mentioned, or move it around to have two windows side by side, or even resize them. I don't see a need for a third party software such as Doeskins.

It's all done by right-clicking to get those options, as I referred to earlier.

When I open a new instance of Firefox Glen, I don't see any option in the settings to keep it on top. Is there a way to do this in later versions of Window's operating systems?
            Also how for instance would I keep the calculator on top?

It's not an option in the browser. Any window can be moved around, resized, and moved over another. The active window is always the one on top.

I never heard of any option to force a window to stay on top of the others, if that's what you're asking.

Yes, that's what I mean. Is there a way of keeping a window always on top of the active window? Tiling windows side by side or on top of each other isn't always useful, especially if something fills the whole window, e.g. an image, requiring use of the scroll bars within the active window. Maximixing the active window and forcing another resized window to stay on top can be much more convenient.

No, there is no option to force a window to stay on top of another. As soon as you do anything in the other window, that one comes to the top.

When I have several windows open at once and I want to keep each in view on the screen, I resize them so that they all fit on the screen. I sometimes do this with as many as four windows at a time. I can get pretty crazy with comparing several things, such as having two windows with web pages, a third with a word file open, and a fourth with a spreadsheet. Like I said, I get crazy sometimes when I do extensive work where each of these items are needed to work with one another.

That method works for me so that I can actively work on each of the windows side by side. So maybe that will help you too.

My habit is also the same. When I am writing some article with great research, I keep many windows open (even 5 windows beside the word document).
                    But, I keep open them on the same browser, not resizing them. I click one window, view something, then click another window, refer something, click another to study some more, like that.
                    Resizing windows, you can keep only maximum 3 at a time that can be clearly readable.

5. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 7 years ago

It's just a simple <a href="link" target="_blank"> that does what you are looking for. HP does not do this on its links because most people do not like stuff opening in multiple tabs. If they want to open in a new tab it's just a simple click on the center mouse button (or scroll ring thing, whatever it's called) or you could right click and open in new tab.

You are trying to compare the target blank feature with manually opening in a new tab whose settings you can also control with your browser as others have stated.

6. eugbug profile image95
    eugbugposted 7 years ago

In windows 10, there is also the option of having more than one desktop on which you can have more application windows opened side by side. You can also use a second monitor plugged into your computer (at least you could when notebooks had a VGA port)

Yes, I can do the same thing on the iMac. Up to four desktops, and any number of windows that will fit on each. I just swipe sideways to go from one desktop to the next. That's how it works on the Mac. Very useful too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)