jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Is it worth keeping a Hub that had its ads disabled?

1. Grant's World profile image81
    Grant's Worldposted 4 months ago

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this.
    I have a couple of hubs that touch on sexuality and have had their ads disabled. Should I bother keeping them around just for the extra traffic or do they some how hurt my earnings on HubPages?
    Thanks in advance.

1. Kylyssa profile image96
      Kylyssaposted 4 months ago in reply to this

They won't hurt anything.

Reasons to keep them on HubPages:

*Each excellent piece of writing is an advertisement for the brand of you. People who enjoy it enough will check out your profile to see what else you've written.

*The same information you are trying to convey will still be conveyed, with or without ads. If the information is important for you to disperse, why not keep it here until you find some other location that gets better traffic?

*People looking for content of that specific sort can still find you through it. I've been offered many gigs and jobs by people who have read my content online, no matter whether the site my work was hosted by paid me or not. 

Reasons to remove them from HubPages:

*You've found a site that gets better traffic.

*You've found a site that pays.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 4 months ago in reply to this

Hi Grant's World,

It certainly doesn't hurt anything to leave articles without ads on your HubPages account, and some writers are still able to monetize ad-free articles effectively with Amazon capsules where appropriate (though not every article is a good fit for products and you'll need to follow the product guidelines).

As others have mentioned, if it is an article that does not lend itself to product inclusion, it is likely not helping or hurting your HubPages account overall, but it many have the chance to earn for you on your own website or blog.

1. Glenn Stok profile image99
        Glenn Stokposted 4 months ago in reply to this

Christy, This brings up an interesting question. I never considered the fact that disabling ads still allows using Amazon. I have a few hubs that are doing really well with Amazon sales. Two of them are on the niche sites.

I wonder, now, if it might improve those sales even further if I were to disable ads? I'm thinking it's something worth testing for a month or two. What are your thoughts about that?

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
          Christy Kirwanposted 4 months ago in reply to this

Hi Glenn,

In theory, the less ads on the page, the more likely your readers will be to click on products instead, so it certainly seems worth trying, though it's not something we've ever tested, specifically.

2. HoneyBB profile image86
    HoneyBBposted 4 months ago

I don't think it hurts to leave it up if you don't have anywhere else you want to put it. I had one about Domestic Violence that I took down and put on my blog but I don't even use my blog often so nothing's happening with it there. When I had my hub on hubpages it sparked a lot of conversations and was helpful to a lot of people. I may move it back one day.

3. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 4 months ago

I would suggest thinking about other platforms where they could be monetized.  Hubpages is more conservative than Adsense.  If they comply with Adsense rules you could post them somewhere else where they can earn money.

4. Marisa Wright profile image94
    Marisa Wrightposted 4 months ago

If you were writing on a blog, it would be worth keeping articles that don't have advertising, because they would still be contributing to your overall traffic and the reputation of your site.

On HubPages you have an account not a website, The account may make you think readers (and Google) see your Hub account as a distinct entity, but they don't.   Your Hubs are all mixed up with everyone else's and it's HubPages and the niche sites that determine the reputation of your Hubs, not your individual account.  So those non-earning Hubs aren't doing anything for you.

5. earner profile image88
    earnerposted 4 months ago

I have one that gets disabled. It's some research I did into a historical murder, nothing bad or salacious, but the fact it's anything to do with any murder was enough. I did have it reinstated once, but I can't tweak/amend/improve it at all as any change automatically disables it and I can't be bothered.

It was about 200 years ago when a local nice man, a trader, was on his horse going home when two men lay in wait and robbed him ... and he died.  All very tame.

I'll move it to my own space I think ... it'll sit in a corner on there and earn me nothing rather than here smile

1. Will Apse profile image90
      Will Apseposted 4 months ago in reply to this

If the horse was upset that would be enough to get the ads pulled.

1. theraggededge profile image95
        theraggededgeposted 4 months ago in reply to this

big_smile

working