jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)

Page Views

1. HoneyBB profile image85
    HoneyBBposted 6 weeks ago

Are people still having problems with page views? Mine have been steadily going down since last night and I have some top spots on google so I don't get it at all. Has somebody hijacked my page views? It also seemed like I had a lot more page views than I got paid for the last few days. What's happening?

2. Glenn Stok profile image98
    Glenn Stokposted 6 weeks ago

We're all noticing reduced traffic.  It seems Google came out with a new algorithm called Fred.  See the latest info at: https://www.seroundtable.com/google-fre … 23538.html

HoneyBBposted 6 weeks ago in reply to this

Thank you Glenn, I'll check that out.

3. Patty Inglish, MS profile image88
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 6 weeks ago

My page views have been increasing for the last ten days, but I will keep watch on this. Thanks.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image88
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 6 weeks ago in reply to this

The last three days, views are stable and rising a bit, but HP Ad earnings decrease as Amazon earnings increase. Could be coincidence.

4. HoneyBB profile image85
    HoneyBBposted 6 weeks ago

A few of my articles are ranking really high (on the first page even the first one with certain input) on Google and I am still not getting page views. On Bing though one of my articles that was on the first page is no longer there.  So is it possible that it's a change in Bing and not Google. If you Google search my first article and then bing search it, you can see what I'm saying...I don't thing the fall in page views is due to people not clicking; I think the clicks are coming through.

I think the clicks are (not) coming through is what I meant to write.

2. Glenn Stok profile image98
      Glenn Stokposted 6 weeks ago in reply to this

You're confusing yourself. If you search for your hub's title then of course it will rank high and appear on the first page. That isn't going to give you any useful information.

The "Fred" algorithm has changed how articles are ranked, so articles are not going to appear on the first page based on certain search terms as they had used to. It seems that Fred doesn't like articles that appear to use too much advertising just to make money, as Barry Schwartz said in his review of Fred.

On the other hand, some articles will rank higher with Fred, and do better now, such as Patty Inglish's hubs. Patty, whatever you are doing is working as per Fred's new favoritism. I guess we can all learn from you.

Thanks Glenn, I decided it's not really gonna make much difference anyhow so I'll just wait and see if things change. I think I was sent a warning from hubpages for something I posted in this thread so I better just start behaving.

5. Bobski606 profile image91
    Bobski606posted 6 weeks ago

Thanks Glenn I wondered what had changed.

6. Glenn Stok profile image98
    Glenn Stokposted 6 weeks ago

It seems that irrelevant links may have something to do with it. There are a lot of links back to HubPages now that don't relate to the subject in the various niche sites, especially HealDove.

There's a good discussion with useful comments about this — see all the posts in the other thread starting with Paul's at http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2878317  (You need to view the forum chronologically so you don't miss anything new. Don't  use threaded view. Change the setting at the top right.)

7. sparkster profile image92
    sparksterposted 6 weeks ago

My page views are increasing, almost at an all time high since I've been writing here... yet my earnings are decreasing and are at an all time low. There is something not right happening here. As I have pointed out before, whenever I make Amazon sales the income from those sales is then deducted from my HP income gradually over the following few days. It's so glaringly obvious and it is just not right. I cannot name one single earning website on the entire internet which is completely honest. Unfortunately they always get away with it... but I believe in karma!

8. makingamark profile image72
    makingamarkposted 6 weeks ago

Good article from Search Engine Land which explains what sort of site Google has TARGETED i.e. this is not accidental.

The vast majority of URLs shared with me all show the same type of website. A content site, often in a blog format, but not always, that has content on various topics — which looks to be written for ranking purposes and then has ads and/or affiliate links sprinkled throughout the article. Many of these sites are not industry expert sites, but rather they seem to have content on vast array of topics that are not adding all that much value above what other sites in the industry have already written.

All these sites saw 50 percent to 90 percent traffic declines from Google organic search. This was a massive organic ranking drop for these sites.

By way of comparison, my popular niche websites which are EXPERT sites and do NOT have adverts but do have highly relevant Amazon associate links have remained absolutely rock steady in terms of traffic and income

But then we always knew that Google does not like sites which produce articles where authors are not experts. For me the writing on the wall about article sites happened when about.com had a major rethink about how it operated.

What did happen last week which was odd was that Google's Feedburner stats failed. The subscribers are still there, the emails are still going out but there are no stats after 8th March on the dashboard. Still got totally normal traffic on my very popular art blog from two different statistical apps - Google Analytics and Statcounter.

working