jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

Word Count

1. Natalie Frank profile image96
    Natalie Frankposted 5 months ago

I understand the check boxes at the top of the Hub templates are just suggestions but have been making my Hubs at least 1200 words as I am under the impression that this is the value for the Google algorithm.  I could submit a far larger number of Hubs if I were to lower the word count to 1000 -1500 words.  Can anyone tell me if it is better to submit far fewer Hubs of at least 1200 words or to submit a greater number of Hubs, some of which would be below that word count?  I was thinking I could always edit to add more words or capsules over time.  Advice?

1. Larry Slawson profile image94
      Larry Slawsonposted 5 months ago in reply to this

Based on my own (limited) experienced, I have found that my best Hubs have been the 1,200-1,500 word articles.  They bring in a far greater audience than my smaller ones.

2. Marisa Wright profile image91
    Marisa Wrightposted 5 months ago

For years, HubPages has said the "sweet spot" is 1,500 words.  In fact in the days when they paid upfront for Hubs, that was the length they demanded. 

There was also one Hubber who did extensive research and she maintained that the best length was between 1,000 and 1,500 words too.

However just recently, Paul Edmondson posted to say they are seeing even longer Hubs being more successful, anything up to 2,500 words.

3. eugbug profile image94
    eugbugposted 5 months ago

What about "how to" type hubs where words are superfluous or even incapable of explaining something and images are much more important? (thinking of my 500 word knot tying hub just moved to Skyaboveus.com). Is a picture worth a thousand words?

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 5 months ago in reply to this

Not to Google.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image91
    FatFreddysCatposted 5 months ago

i usually shoot for around 1000 words, but since I'm naturally long winded my hubs tend to be longer than that without having  to try very hard...

5. Natalie Frank profile image96
    Natalie Frankposted 5 months ago

How about for recipe Hubs?  I do those once in a while just to take a break from the more serious posts.

1. Marisa Wright profile image91
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 months ago in reply to this

Google doesn't differentiate.

6. lobobrandon profile image82
    lobobrandonposted 5 months ago

On my own website I have a 2.5k word article that ranks well. A new website (with a lot of backlinks, PBN's mostly) has now got a 4.5k word article above mine, we keep jumping on the SERP's between 2nd and 3rd position.

The guy with 4.5k words has "spun" content. It reads horrible but he's still ranking. Google isn't perfect, far from it.

Word count does matter a lot. If you are trying to write based on word count in mind, then you should look at the top results and see how many words they got. Compare the top 10 results and decide.

7. DavePage profile image59
    DavePageposted 5 months ago

I've written articles for my own site which just hits 500 words often but it's top of page 1 because of the keyword selection. It's all in the keyword

1. theraggededge profile image95
      theraggededgeposted 5 months ago in reply to this

I agree. The word count is almost irrelevant as long as it appropriate for the topic in hand, if you see what I mean? An article showing you how to turn an empty baked bean can into a tealight holder can be 500 words. An in-depth article about the life of an artist could take 2000 words. As long as the reader gets the information they are looking for, arbitrary word counts are unimportant.

2. Marisa Wright profile image91
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 months ago in reply to this

Ah, but you're missing an important point.  It's on your own site, which I assume is entirely about that one subject.    Google looks at the neighbourhood too - that short post gets the benefit of being surrounded by closely related posts. 

That's not the case for Hubs.  Even on the niche sites, because the niches aren't tightly focussed. So each Hub has to convince all on its own.

working