jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

May only registered Hubbers vote in a Hub's poll capsule?

1. profile image75
    Joel Lantzposted 3 months ago

I have a  poll capsule at the end of a recent Hub asking readers to evaluate its helpfulness. Dozens of readers but only two voters. I even asked people I know to evaluate the hub in this way, but apparently none have done so... OR might they have tried but been blocked? Might HubPages block unregistered-reader votes?

1. eugbug profile image94
      eugbugposted 3 months ago in reply to this

I don't know, but since unregistered readers can comment, I would think that they can probably vote aswell.
      As regard your "voter turnout", if it's any consolation, one of my hubs has over 100,000 views but only 107 votes cast! The fact is that most visitors to a page have a short attention span and don't want to engage in any superfluous stuff unless they get some return e.g. free stuff or maybe satisfy their curiosity about something.

2. SakinaNasir53 profile image85
      SakinaNasir53posted 3 months ago in reply to this

Hi Joel Lantz! smile

People outside HubPages can vote as well. My family and friends have voted in polls after reading my hubs.

3. TessSchlesinger profile image91
      TessSchlesingerposted 3 months ago in reply to this

Just checked that against some of my own hubs and readers do not have to be members of hp to vote. One hub which has been read a quarter of a million times has many thousands of responses.

2. Marisa Wright profile image94
    Marisa Wrightposted 3 months ago

You're not getting votes because that's not what the poll capsule is for.  It's to ask a meaningful question, not to ask how you're doing as a writer - so I'm guessing most seasoned Hubbers would ignore it.

3. WryLilt profile image86
    WryLiltposted 3 months ago

What Marisa said. It's also of no interest to them to see the results. Ask a question where people want to know how they compare to other answers.

It's definitely not about being signed in/out. I have a poll capsule with over 100,000 votes.

4. Venkatachari M profile image82
    Venkatachari Mposted 3 months ago

Most readers do not vote in polls or participate in the quiz. They want information and get it by viewing the article. Only a few people who like to appreciate your content may vote. Even then, they can do it by commenting in the comments section.

So, if any reader wants to test his own knowledge, then only will he vote in the polls to see whether his perception is similar to that of other people voting there or does he differ and to how much extent. This is the purpose for those poll or quiz capsules there.

1. TessSchlesinger profile image91
      TessSchlesingerposted 3 months ago in reply to this

Disagree. I have polls at the end of every hub. I pose interesting questions. People respond, and they are also interested to see how other people vote. However, it is a small percentage.

working