We just deployed a few changes to HubPages. The biggest changes are:
1. Q&A short answers - You can now answer questions with either a short answer or a hub, and answers can be voted up or down by the community. Some of the restrictions on what can be asked in a question have been lifted.
2. Create a hub page - You can now choose from 3 different starting layouts, or you can clone the layout of any of your existing hubs.
3. Home page / Categories - You can now personalize the topics that appear on the home page by joining the fan club of categories that you are interested in.
4. Safari, Chrome, and Opera Support - We've improved the compatibility of HubPages with these browsers. Support is still at the beta level, but we think most tools on the site including the Hub Editor should work. If you notice any problems, please let us know.
5. Facebook / Twitter - When you publish a new hub, you can now easily add it to your facebook feed or tweet about it.
Quite a few things have changed, and as always there may be new bugs. If you notice anything unusual please let us know.
I love being able to personalize everything, cool! It would be fun if we could "pretty up" our profile pages too, with backgrounds, quotes, etc. Not like MySpace in general, but the artistic part of it is fun:)
I definitely appreciate the compatibility with Chrome, it is by far, my favorite browser. The only thing that I've noticed (and it doesn't happen all the time) is that when I'm trying to format text in bold, it doesn't always work.
For example, the other day I made a bullet list of system specs on my new laptop. I made all the specs in bold and then wrote a line next to the bold text with normal text. When I went to publish the hub, the bold formatting was gone and now that part of the hub looks sort of jumbled. I've made similar lists before in IE and have never had a problem with text not appearing bold after publishing.
I like how when creating a hub, you no longer have to scroll to the top in order to add capsules. There is now a bar that appears. Problem that I see is that it doesn't offer ebay capsule, only amazon.
I can't wait to check out the layout options.
For the short answer, does that mean if there's a request that we already have a hub about, we can post the link to the hub?
Edit: Just checked out the layout options... Is there an easier way to search through existing hubs in order to copy a layout?
Edit: I now see both amazon and ebay capsules on the bar, but the names and logos are switched. IE it says ebay but has the amazon logo.
hahaha yea I know.. It was kind of neat when I noticed it before I saw this thread... Then when I continued to finish the hub I was working on and then start on another, it started to get in the way. I kept trying to close it, but there's no 'X' to close. I guess it's just reaction and whatnot to close boxes.
Oh and with the Tweet the new hub thing... By setting up the Twitterfeed, it automatically updates when you post new hubs, when you set up your hubber RSS feed that is, so I'm not sure how necessary that feature is. I think it'd be better to have it on the share it option though so that other people can tweet the hub, and it's already there.
The truth is that we haven't decided on how the new short Q&A answers are going to play into the overall earnings plan just yet and since it's our first go at it we want to make sure that we get all of the bugs out before any of us (Hubbers or HubPages) attempts to earn ad revenue from it.
'Short answers to the questions asked' is really a change needed for a long. It will be very useful as some requests require only short answers and not a complete hub. I did not use this feature till now but I am sure that there is a provision to link your hubs as answer to these requests. This will help avoid duplication of information. Second change is related to compatibility to few browsers. I love to use opera but latest versions of opera have conflicts with edit (text, comments)mode of hubpages.Now these browsers are compatible with HP so these browsers can be used. Thanks HP for the changes (much needed).
Great new features hubpages, but when can we fix banners into our capsules? Irritating that i cant promote some banners and active product pictures. can we look forward to that feature soon? Asides that, you guys are great