jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Hubpages is putting in nice hub requests

1. soni2006 profile image45
    soni2006posted 8 years ago

I noticed that hubpages is putting in nice hub requests and this is motivating people to create great hubs, thanks for the hub requests, as requests give us a reason to create beautiful hubs and we share each other's point of views with that.

I would like to share other hubber's views on this topic.

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

Personally, I'm not convinced that Requests are such a good idea.  A lot of the requests invite a short answer, and the result is that they either get ignored (but continue to clutter the Ideas Bank), or that it encourages newbies to think they can write a Yahoo-Answers type Hub. 

Recently I've noticed a couple of cases where new joiners have jumped on the Requests board and answered twenty or thirty requests in a couple of days, all sub-standard, consisting of one or two paragraphs.  They obviously think there's some bonus attached to answering a request, and I guess you can't blame them.

Another new joiner recently posted on these forums, complaining that she had made some requests but wasn't getting any credit for the answering Hubs.  I suspect a few people have this misconception - just the other day, another newbie posted several requests, without writing any Hubs himself.

Personally, I'd prefer it if only HubPages and perhaps Hubbers of some minimum standard (e.g. minimum score, minimum no. of Hubs published) were allowed to make requests.

If it continues to be open slather, then I think there needs to be a paragraph at the top of the requests page explaining what it's all about.  Or a link saying, "Stop!  Before posting a request here, please read the guidelines".

1. darkside profile image84
      darksideposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Or the other way around. Only those of a certain HubScore and X amount of hubs (and maybe even X amount of time as a member AND they have read a TOS statement and ticked a box to agree to the best job possible) are allowed to be the ones that answer.

3. soni2006 profile image45
    soni2006posted 8 years ago

Hi Marissa,

I think you are right, though I do not agree with you totally, as hub requests or questions and answers are the best features in a social networking or website business nowadays, as people can find their questions answered easily and they do not have to search for too long.

Hub requests give out a motive to a person to write something new, sometimes there are many hub requests which interest us and sometimes there are none but that does not mean that whatever I like will be liked by other people.  Everyone has his/her own point of view regarding every topic coming out of this world.  If we all had similar view points and similar ideas, we cannot progress like we are doing right now.  Now, you would be thinking why I am saying this, I am saying this as hub requests generate different view points from different people around the globe and this help us get more visitors visiting our hub pages.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I agree, however that's not what I'm talking about.  I mean requests that I could answer, but it would take me only one paragraph to answer the question completely.   It is such a simple question, there is no way I could write an article of a good length, with appropriate photos, videos etc.  New Hubbers read these questions and think, "that's easy, I can do that", write the paragraph and think they've written a Hub.

The other kind of request that annoys me is the kind that should be a question on this forum, not a request.  For instance, this one is currently posted:

"I saw a hub that had blogrush. However it needs a code to be used. Can we use that code on hubpages?  "

Now, if the requester had asked how to use Blogrush on a blog, someone could write a Hub on that.  But whether or not Blogrush can be used on Hubpages is a simple few sentences.

1. darkside profile image84
        darksideposted 8 years ago in reply to this

And more a question to be asked in the forum.

4. Jason Menayan profile image60
    Jason Menayanposted 8 years ago

We feed 4 new requests per day, and you'll see that the vast majority are evergreen, "how to" topics, because if done right, they do quite well at attracting steady, stable traffic over time.

Occasionally we'll throw in a non-how-to request, mostly things we glean from Google Trends. We think, if capitalized in the form of an informative Hub on the topic fairly quickly, you could see a large bump in (profitable) traffic. Things like recalls and finance/money-related topics tend to catch our eyes.

- Jason