jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (16 posts)

Has anybody here used Amazon Kindle?

1. countrywomen profile image61
    countrywomenposted 8 years ago

My father's birthday is approaching and I am thinking of this gift. I have a few questions for those who have used it:
    1) How easy is it for non-technical people to use it?
    2) Can it be used for long hours without strain on the eyes?
    3) Does it have any issues that need to be considered while using primarily in India?

Thanks for your replies. smile

PS: They have the new bigger version of kindle now. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/07/techn … indle.html

2. Trekkiemelissa profile image79
    Trekkiemelissaposted 8 years ago

I currently have a kindle 2.  The battery life is great on mine.  I can go 2 or more days without having to recharge mine.

Its really easy to use for people whom use it in the United States at least because of the wireless access.  I have heard people whom do not live in the US, have to use the computer to load books and so on onto the kindle though.  If they understand how the usb works,how to access it on the computer, and download books to the computer, your father should be fine.  If not, he may need some help until he learns how to do it.

I love mine that I am slowly trying to replace my paper copies with the electronic copies.

countrywomenposted 8 years ago in reply to this

And do the books remain forever our copy. And if it is a electronic copy then is it a one time transfer or one can transfer and also later take a print out (optional). My father knows how to use the printer and basic USB info he does know. And if there is a problem is there a warranty that is covered even in India. Thanks for your response. smile

3. Trekkiemelissa profile image79
    Trekkiemelissaposted 8 years ago

They have an online storage area where they keep all of your books that you buy from them so if you delete them from your kindle, you can always read them later.  In fact, it is actually a good idea to download the ones you buy through them and save them on disk as a backup even though they have it available for you.  I personally rather be safe than sorry.

As for warranties, you would have to contact amazon about that.

4. Ryan Hupfer profile image80
    Ryan Hupferposted 8 years ago

Could be a great topic to write a Hub about, eh? smile

1. Ryan Hupfer profile image80
      Ryan Hupferposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Here are some that are written about the Kindle:

http://hubpages.com/search/include:hubs+kindle

countrywomenposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I wish even her hub was listed in the front page in that list. I found this hub informative: http://hubpages.com/hub/kindledx

2. Trekkiemelissa profile image79
      Trekkiemelissaposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Actually I have two hubs on the kindle smile  One on the kindle 2 and the other is on the Kindle DX

5. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 8 years ago

I would get one if I didn't live in Canada...

1. Trekkiemelissa profile image79
      Trekkiemelissaposted 8 years ago in reply to this

You can still use it.  I am not sure,Canada may be included with the wireless access but I am not sure.  If you decide that you want it, contact amazon and see what they tell you about it.  Otherwise, you would have to download the book to your computer and then upload the book from there to the kindle.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
        Uninvited Writerposted 8 years ago in reply to this

It's all about the wireless access. Our telecommunications companies and Amazon have not come to an understanding. I wouldn't want one if I had to do the extra steps. I'll just stop at my laptop then.

6. GeneriqueMedia profile image61
    GeneriqueMediaposted 8 years ago

I soooo want a Kindle. I have a closet to my name and books are taking up waaaay too much space.

7. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 8 years ago

I would think you would need to know, for sure, whether he's someone who just prefers "real" books (many people do), or someone who doesn't care about books, themselves, and only cares about the reading.

Most people I know have either said, "I'd like one of them" or else "I wouldn't want one of them.  I like having the book."  Maybe some people would like one for some reading but not all reading.  Anyway, I think that's the first thing you need to know about your father.

1. GeneriqueMedia profile image61
      GeneriqueMediaposted 8 years ago in reply to this

This is so true. I enjoy the feel and smell of books (just like music media, movie media, etc.) and not having to have a battery to read...

...but we've got to be honest, and as much as we would like to think not, the book is going to become a cherished object relegated to novelty and historical references.

G|M

8. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 8 years ago

If you read a couple of my hubs you will realize that I am a book addict smile

If I do end up getting a Kindle or something similar, I will not be getting rid of my books any time soon. I love the feel and smell of a new book too.

9. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 8 years ago

I love books too.  smile   I think only people who have a "thing" about books really know all the elements to the whole thing.  Still, being someone who carries a very large and well equipped shoulder bag, I have thought about how "nifty" it would be to have a Kindle in that bag, just for those times when I wanted to read "on the run".

working