jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

Improving my hub by converting links to anchor text

1. miriamyentraccm profile image92
    miriamyentraccmposted 2 months ago

Hi, Hubbers:

I just published "IBS Management" and I need to make some improvements before I resubmit it for a vertical site. I understand everything I need to edit except this: I have source links for several sections of my article, but Hub Pages asked that I convert them to in-text links using anchor text. Can anyone give me an example of how this works, so I can fix my hub? I really appreciate any and all help! Thank you and God bless you.

miriamyentraccm

1. Marketing Merit profile image85
      Marketing Meritposted 2 months ago in reply to this

As below:

This is the link to your source
      This is your anchor text

EDIT: Sorry, unsure how much you know about HTML, but you will need to enter the above by clicking the HTML tab on the text box.

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 2 months ago

There is no need to know HTML programming. HubPages gives you the tool you need to create an in-text link with anchor text.

When editing a text capsule, just highlight the text you want as the anchor text and click the link icon on top. Then paste in the URL you want to link to go to, on the top field. Then click the "save" button.

Don't use any of the fields below the save button unless you want to link to Amazon of another hub. In that case, search for the item you want the anchor text to link to and select the item.

When done, you will also have to save the capsule. You will notice the anchor text displays as a link.

1. Marketing Merit profile image85
      Marketing Meritposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Yes, of course...much easier method Glenn!

Just one of the drawbacks of working mainly in code...I edit my ordered lists using the HTML tab also! lol

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
        Glenn Stokposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Funny you mention that Cheryll. I'm an HTML programmer too, and one time I used the HTML tab to make an ordered list in a text capsule work the way I wanted — with special spacing.

3. Jason mackenzie profile image89
    Jason mackenzieposted 2 months ago

Hi, use the link icon in the text box to insert the url that you wish to link your text with and click on 'save'. It will automatically show up in your article. Thanks, regards...

1. miriamyentraccm profile image92
      miriamyentraccmposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Hi, Jason: Thank you for your help! I understand now-- it's just like adding a "click to tweet" link. God bless you!

Some people get confused with the top and bottom section of that entry box. If you get into trouble, see my post I left in this thread yesterday at http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2885545

4. Solaras profile image90
    Solarasposted 2 months ago

Of course, because HP refuse to open links in a new page, your in text links will take the reader away from your article, thereby lowering reader's time on your page.  They may click the back button, or more likely continue reading from your source.

All the reason to avoid using outbound links midstream. Reference links should be placed at the end of the hub anyway.  Source links for images don't display unless the reader clicks "source" under the image. Few do.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image93
        DzyMsLizzyposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Keeping in mind, that if you include source links for images, If there are many, or if you also have links to products, all those links together may flag your hub as "overly promotional."

I really don't get it about source links for images, especially when a link-back is required in the permissions...how is that "promotional?"  You're not selling anything with that!!??!!

I use mainly only 3 sources now: my own photos (preferred by HP); Pixabay, and Flickr (CC license).  All you need to do with the latter two is place the name of the source in the 'source' box, not in the URL box.

When I'm using only my own photos, I just put a text capsule near the end of the hub, titled 'Photo Credits,' into which I type:  "All photos by author."

working