jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (16 posts)

Unfollowing Inactive Hubbers

1. vocalcoach profile image94
    vocalcoachposted 4 weeks ago

Will my hubscore be affected if I unfollow inactive hubbers?

1. Elsie Hagley profile image82
      Elsie Hagleyposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

Sorry, I can't help you with the answer, but I'm interested in the replies myself. Thanks for asking.

2. kenneth avery profile image81
      kenneth averyposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

@vocalcoach,
      Now that you mention it, recently I was sending "thank you" emails to the New Followers I had on file and lo and behold about four "New" Followers said (via email per HP) that "this user no longer exists," or "this hubber banned from HP." And I wonder what they did or didn't do.

vocalcoachposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

Hi Ken.  This is exactly what I'm referring to.

3. Venkatachari M profile image84
      Venkatachari Mposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

What is the norm for inactivity? We must first decide this. If I do not publish any hub for 3 months or longer periods? Or, is it when I completely disappear from reading, commenting on anyone hub at least per a certain period (say for one full month)?
      Are there any norms for it?

I'm wondering if there is any advantage to keep following those who are now deceased or have left HP.

1. Venkatachari M profile image84

That is entirely a different case! Then, you may unfollow them after confirming it.

4. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

Unfollowing authors will not cause any issues with your score. smile

1. kenneth avery profile image81
        kenneth averyposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

@Christy smile but what about a New Hubber and I active their email and then I see their profile and in the top right box saying 0 hubs and 33 or so followers and what scares me is that they have been members for six months. What can they be doing?

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
          Marisa Wrightposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

Ken, they may have joined to use the Answers section, or they may have joined and tried to write spam articles, so none of them have been approved. These people often follow lots of other Hubbers because they think it will help them earn money.  They soon learn that is not the case and they leave, but they don't delete their profile.

The simple solution is, never follow someone who has not written any Hubs, even if they follow you.

Following is not a tit-for-tat thing.   If you follow someone, it is because you are making a commitment to read their Hubs, not just because they have followed you. So you need to be sure they write good Hubs before you make that commitment, which means they need to have written at least one.

2. vocalcoach profile image94

Christy
        Thank you for your direct answer.  Appreciate it!

2. Jason mackenzie profile image86
    Jason mackenzieposted 4 weeks ago

Hi, not sure whether it will have an impact, but why unfollow? As long as it does not hinder you in any way, you might as well leave it in the list and ignore its presence.

I ditto your advice.

2. vocalcoach profile image94

Three are deceased and others have left HP.

3. Kathleen Cochran profile image84
    Kathleen Cochranposted 4 weeks ago

I unfollow my followers who have been inactive for a year, mainly because there is nothing new of theirs to read.  I do try to keep up with the work of those who do me the honor of following me. 

As far as hubscores go, in my five + years I've facilitated between 100 and 80.  I can find no pattern for why or how, so I don't pay attention to it any more.

I follow all my followers and more than double of my followers. I always try to read 2 or 3 articles daily from those whom I follow. But, I may not read some hubs which are a series or which deal with a similar topic by the same author. I love to read but I may not find time for more than 3 articles per day here. I hope all will try to understand me.

working