jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (10 posts)

What is the smartest way to copy my hubs to my personal blog?

1. Filip Stojkovski profile image86
    Filip Stojkovskiposted 4 weeks ago

I've recently bought a domain name, hosting and I've created my own webpage, but it has no written content yet. I'm thinking of copy-pasting some of the content I have on Hubpages to my blog. Since I wrote them, I hope it's not a copyright issue. The hubs were first published here on Hubpages. Another alternative I'm considering is to paraphrase the content and create new articles, but that is significantly more work. In the later scenario, how much change is enough so that it doesn't count as I've been copying myself. Is there some tool for plagiarism that you use frequently?
    Thank you

1. theraggededge profile image95
      theraggededgeposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

You can do it, but why dilute the traffic? Not sure I see the point. Personally, I would write completely new material. Once you start writing in a niche, it becomes easy to find many different angles to write about the same topic.

I expect you know you can't do it the other way round. HP won't allow material that's already been published.

2. Marketing Merit profile image85
      Marketing Meritposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

Depends upon how much traffic you are getting. As TheRaggedEdge has already said, duplicate content is not allowed here. You can unpublish your hubs and add them to your new website or, as has been suggested, write new content for your website. Personally, I find it easier to draft a new article rather than spend time transferring content across. The latter can be time-consuming. However, if an article is attracting no traffic, then it may be worth investing some time in giving it a new lease of life on your own website. Either way, you cannot reproduce your hubs on your website, unless you unpublish them first.
      Hope this helps!

1. theraggededge profile image95
        theraggededgeposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

Actually, you can republish **after a hub has been published at HP**. Otherwise all our copied/stolen hubs would be deleted by HP. You will get the copyright symbol appear on the hub in your account, but you won't be penalised. You don't have to unpublish the hub first.

Only when you try to do it the other way round are you flagged for duplication.

1. Solaras profile image91
          Solarasposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

Is this true? And Google won't penalize either site for duplicate content?

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
            Marisa Wrightposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

There is no such thing as a duplicate content penalty, strictly speaking.   What will happen is that Google will see two identical articles and obviously, it only needs to include ONE of those in the search engine results.  So it chooses one to include in the results, and dumps the other.

And that's where the "penalty" comes in. If both articles are identical then Google needs to look for other signs to tell it which article is more "worthy".  We don't know exactly what criteria are used but possibly Google looks at things like the Panda score of the site it's on, the relevance of the overall site to the subject of the article, popularity, etc.  That's why Google can sometimes pick the thief's copy in preference to the original, if it's been stolen. 

But this is why there's no point putting your own article in two different places.  Google is going to pick one and totally ignore the other.  And you can't tell Google which one to pick.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image94
              Sherry Hewinsposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

It might be a good test, especially if you have a worthy article that is not getting good traffic on HP. Post it on your blog and see if it does better there.

3. Jean Bakula profile image93
      Jean Bakulaposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

You don't write your articles on Word? I always did, so I had a backup, and even have everything decent I ever wrote on a flash drive. I was writing in several places at the time. It won't help you now, but may in the future. Good luck,

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image93
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

Bad idea.  If you simply copy and paste Google will see it as duplicate content and you'll have problems.  Your second idea will work better, but you'll still have to be careful about wordage because spun content can also be viewed as being duplicate.

What I do to avoid this problem is analyze my main site and when I find articles that are failing, I move them to my blog.  First, however, I ask Google to de index them so that I can avoid duplication.  My blog isn't doing that well, but at least it gives me a place to put articles that I no longer want to have on my main site and possibly give them a fresh chance at being viewed.

2. TheWritingHub profile image60
    TheWritingHubposted 3 weeks ago

Congrats on having the courage to take the plunge and start your new site!!

working