jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Comment with guy's email address in it

1. NateB11 profile image93
    NateB11posted 2 months ago

Someone commented on one of my Hubs and he included his email address after the semi-relevant but very short comment. Looks like a trick to me, like probably a phishing scam. Though it's occurred to me that it's not uncommon for commenters on sites to have their email address as a link in their name.

1. Coffeequeeen profile image87
      Coffeequeeenposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Yes, you got to be careful.  I'm always very careful what I click on or what I open.

2. Marisa Wright profile image94
    Marisa Wrightposted 2 months ago

I don't know how it could be a scam, but I don't publish those for another reason.   If you publish your email address online, it's likely to get collected by email scrapers and sold to spammers and scammers.   On my blog, I have an obfuscating plugin so that my email address (and any reader who happens to put their address in their post) is protected from that kind of thing.  I don't know if HubPages does.  So if I get a comment with an email address in it, I usually don't publish it for that reason.

1. NateB11 profile image93
      NateB11posted 2 months ago in reply to this

Well, that's one way scams work, they get you to email them and then they have your email address and can send you junk; probably the primary way scams are run, since wayyyyyy back. You know, a mailing list.

At any rate, yes, I see your point about not letting scammers have access to people's email addresses; in fact, it's the point I was making almost in reverse.

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
        Marisa Wrightposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Ah, I was thinking along the lines of, how can just displaying an email address be a scam?  If he was actually asking you to reply to that email, yes i can see that could be a scam.

working