jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

5 minute Editing Window for Comments - Too Short & What's the Point?

1. eugbug profile image94
    eugbugposted 2 months ago

Ok, It's probably better to get things right first time and not have to edit comments, but extra info may need to be added later for the benefit of other readers. So what's the point of the 5 minute limit? We can delete our own comments after the timeout and repost, however if other readers have posted in the meantime, a replacement comment cannot be slipped into place after the original readers question/comment.

1. Jesse Drzal profile image87
      Jesse Drzalposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Hmm..that is interesting, to say the least.

2. Maina Ndungu profile image83
      Maina Ndunguposted 2 months ago in reply to this

You can edit your comments any time in your account  > comments. But I'm not sure whether they change position.

eugbugposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Hi Maina, Yes you can access all your comments from account > comments, however once 5 minutes passes, they are locked and cannot be edited.

2. eugbug profile image94
    eugbugposted 2 months ago

It's a pain also if comments have typos. They can't be corrected without deleting and reposting, with the new comment possibly way down the list and out of place.

3. Will Apse profile image90
    Will Apseposted 2 months ago

It is annoyingly short but maybe it is a resource thing.

I wonder do our comments go through the CrowdFlower service?

http://hubpages.com/community/forum/136 … oderation-

4. Will Apse profile image90
    Will Apseposted 2 months ago

A relatively short editing time makes for a more natural conservation, I suppose. If your brain works rather slowly, a little more than five minutes would help. It would help me, lol.

I don't reckon they will be throwing resources at this kind of issue, though.

5. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 2 months ago

If someone replied to your post, and then you changed the post, it could lead to confusion.

Some people may say something inflammatory and then change something sweet, making it seem like the people who replied on the post overreacted. I have a feeling they save themselves lots of trouble this way.

1. Jean Bakula profile image94
      Jean Bakulaposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Even if you delete the comment, it shows in earlier posts, if you change your mind. I've given up most forums. They are more of a source for people to argue, and I also find I'd like to add more info. In the end, it's wasting writing time. The forums are useful for getting answers on certain topics, but with so many changing rules, it is hard not to be misunderstood or getting varied answers.

2. eugbug profile image94

Well yes, that's all true/. Maybe Editbot could be used for correcting grammar/typos?

working