jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (5 posts)

Using Numerals in a Hub Title

1. eugbug profile image95
    eugbugposted 2 weeks ago

Is there a popular or "best number" to use in a hub title? One of my hubs has "16 best flowers" at the beginning of the title. Now 16 isn't a number anyone would probably search for and my hub doesn't even turn up on the first 5 search pages. However when I search for "16 best flowers", hey presto, it turns up as a featured snippet, maybe because few other articles have used such an awkward number and there aren't many contenders for the number 16. So is it better to use a numer like 10 or 50 or 100? I'm going to change to 10 and see what happens (or maybe tell lies and use 100!)

1. promisem profile image93
      promisemposted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

The online world is flooded with "10 best" headlines. I have used them myself, but I'm trying to get away from the practice because it is so overdone.

I've noticed a trend among bigger sites to start using different numbers to make them stand out more, especially when 50 other sites also have "10 best" headlines on the same subject.

I vote for 16.

eugbugposted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

Hmm, now all I have to do is convince everyone 16 is the new 10... Well actually it is in the hexadecimal, base 16 numbering system! (or vice versa to be precise)

2. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

One good way to experiment if you want to try a number other than the number of things actually in your list is to say [number]+. For example, if you wanted to see how readers and search engines respond to your list of 16 flowers you might try "10+ Best Flowers" etc. That way you are giving your readers what they want and then some, and you still have the ability to test out different numbers without being misleading or giving a bad experience.

eugbugposted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

Ok, I'll try that Christy and see what happens. The hub won't likely be displayed as a Rich Snippet anymore, but may get pushed further up the rankings.

working