jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (7 posts)

help me to fix my article

1. Salma Hassaballa profile image89
    Salma Hassaballaposted 3 months ago

Hi Hubbers, I have received an email from Hubpages regarding my article "What’s so Significant About the Human Rights Declaration?"  it says that it is eligible to be moved to a vertical domain if I fix the spelling/grammar problems and they advised me to have an extra pair of eyes on my writing to spot
    those missed errors. The link to the article is

https://hubpages.com/politics/Whats-so- … eclaration

Thank you so much, have a good day.

1. lovetherain profile image46
      lovetherainposted 3 months ago in reply to this

1st paragraph should be "it's" not "its".

3rd paragraph should be "intents".

4th paragraph "Freedom of thought" Not sure about the capitalization.

That's as far as I got, maybe I'll do more later.

1. Salma Hassaballa profile image89
        Salma Hassaballaposted 3 months ago in reply to this

thank you so much for your help smile

2. theraggededge profile image95
        theraggededgeposted 3 months ago in reply to this

No, that advice is wrong. The sentence, "A couple of years ago, the British Council was celebrating its 80th anniversary..." is correct. The possessive pronoun does not have an apostrophe.

I'll take a quick look at the rest, but if you need it proofreading, you should get someone to do it thoroughly. You can pick up a lot of awkward phrasing by reading the text out loud. You might also paste it into the free online app Hemingway.

Universal Declaration of Human Rights should be capitalized each time it is used.

Watch out for things like this, "My astonishment was not due to the lack of knowledge about human rights principles, but I was surprised to see that it ranked as number four ..."

My astonishment was not due to the lack of knowledge about human rights principles, but because it ranked as number four..." You don't need 'astonishment' and 'surprised'.

I can't see much else wrong; try Hemingway, it does help to tighten up writing but ignore its suggestions if you don't like them.

Hope that helps a little.

1. lovetherain profile image46
          lovetherainposted 3 months ago in reply to this

oops.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image92
            TIMETRAVELER2posted 3 months ago in reply to this

Don't feel bad about your mistake.  When I was teaching school I wrote a special program for use by a certain group of English teachers as a trial to see how it would work.  One day one of them asked me to explain to her what a preposition was!  This was an English teacher!

2. Salma Hassaballa profile image89
          Salma Hassaballaposted 3 months ago in reply to this

It helps a lot

working