jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Amazon capsules

1. Jeremy Gill profile image89
    Jeremy Gillposted 2 weeks ago

Hi everyone. I've made many articles and never once utilized the Amazon capsules; always seems like the spammy feeling they invoke outweighs the potential gain from them. I know it really goes case-by-case, but what are your thoughts? Lately I've been feeling like maybe one per article would be okay, as long it's relevant.

1. NateB11 profile image94
      NateB11posted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

I know what you mean by not wanting to use Amazon. I was very resistant to it early on, and when I did use Amazon ads, I felt like a pile of you-know-what. Then I read a lot about how it's the only way to make significant money online, so I tried it with some Hubs with very little success. Then maybe a year or two ago, I started a site and used Amazon ads on it, and somehow ended up making a bunch of sales (still do on that site), because I basically stumbled on a product that sold. Only thing is, the product is a pretty low price and the commission is low too, so I'm not making much money.

At any rate, you have to be pretty savvy as a sales person to make money on Amazon, as far as I'm concerned. And I'm pretty much the opposite of a salesperson.

So, I think you're right that one per article is good, as long as relevant. But my experience is that it's difficult to figure out what will sell. Supposedly if you write about something you've used and put an Amazon ad for in the article, it's good; I've done that, and have sold nothing that way.

Jeremy Gillposted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

Thanks Nate, that's an interesting story. Haha I'm the opposite of a salesman too. Hopefully that could work in our favor; if we recommend something, it's because we honestly believe in it.

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 2 weeks ago

IMO it's definitely a case-by-case thing.  I think if you're going to include Amazon capsules, they have to arise naturally out of the Hub, e.g. if you're writing a Hub about how to make something, and you recommend a particular tool or component, then it makes sense to check if it's available on Amazon.  Then you're adding the capsule because it offers a convenience to your reader.   

Same goes for if you're writing about a particular place or hobby or whatever - if you know of a good book that gives more information, then offering that book in an Amazon capsule is a service to the reader.

Bottom line, if you're having to rack your brains to find a relevant product, you probably shouldn't be putting an Amazon capsule in that Hub.

Jeremy Gillposted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

Thanks Marisa! Good advice. Some of my articles are reviews of a game or movie, so it'd probably be fine to include a link there as well.

3. Jesse Drzal profile image85
    Jesse Drzalposted 2 weeks ago

As far as Facebook groups and things of that nature, I don't include any Amazon. I don't want to be bombarding my readers with more adverts so I'm not doing it to them. Especially pet articles. Cheapens my interactions and makes it less genuine. For me at least that's how I handle it. It's whatever works though everyone is vastly different so I'm not trying to say one approach is better. I understand writing for the big G is a whole different ballgame.

4. Jesse Drzal profile image85
    Jesse Drzalposted 2 weeks ago

It would actually be a good thing to learn how to use Amazon better and try to create some sales based articles. That would be the next step in my evolution.

5. Titia profile image92
    Titiaposted 2 weeks ago

I still have hubs with Amazon capsules, but when I update those hubs I change them to text links. I like them better that way. HP doesn't like Amazon capsules anyway and when you use them make sure they're totally related to your text.

working