jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Word and Blogger...Hard Lesson Learned!

1. Dreamworker profile image91
    Dreamworkerposted 5 weeks ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13532463_f520.jpg
    I am hoping that this post will help some other Hubber to avoid the problems I just discovered.

Awhile back I set up a site on Blogger.  After a year or so, I switched from using MS Works to MS Office Word to write my posts then cut and paste them on to new posts in Blogger. 

My results were horrible, and I didn't understand what the problem was, but last night Marissa Wright helped me to find out. Seems that transposing articles wreaks havoc with Blogger blogs.  The result is that views suck, income is absent and Google ranks your work poorly!

Now I have 40 articles that must be copied and pasted into notepad, transferred to Libre Office for formatting and then copied back onto a new post so that, eventually, all of my work will be properly formatted. 

Another problem was that Skimlinks, for some reason, never worked!  So, Marissa and I are working on that one, too.   Right now it seems as though it has started working, but until some time passes, I won't know for sure.

On that note, I discovered that when I try to link a product to Amazon it links to my personal Amazon account!  Why?  Who knows!

So, If any of you gurus have advice, I'm all ears.  These have been hard lessons but this is what happens when a low tech person tries to blog.

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 5 weeks ago

Just to clarify for others reading this:

If you write an article in Word (or most other word processing programs), there is a heap of code in the  background which creates things like fonts, paragraph styles etc.  So, if you just copy and paste from Word into Blogger or Wordpress, you're pasting in that code, too, and it screws up the fonts and layout.

Likewise, if you try to transfer a Hub from HubPages by copying and pasting the whole article, you'll pick up the HTML code and paste it in along with the text, screwing up the fonts and layout.

The way to copy from another source is to paste it into Notepad or Wordpad first, which clears all the formatting, then copy and paste it into Blogger or Wordpress, and then go through and add your headings and other formatting.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image92
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 weeks ago in reply to this

Yep.  Been there.  Done that.  Feel like an idiot...but gonna' change my ways now!  A great big thank you to Marisa, once again, for taking so much time to help me.  Old, experienced yet still learning.  Love you Marisa!

3. EricDockett profile image95
    EricDockettposted 5 weeks ago

Can't you just paste from Word as plain text?

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 weeks ago in reply to this

To be honest, I haven't used Blogger for such a long time, I don't know if "paste as plain text" works.

working