jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Need some eyes to tell me what's wrong with this hub

1. Titia profile image92
    Titiaposted 11 days ago

HP says it's not good enough for the niche sites and I wonder what's missing or too much.
    Giant Hogweed: How Safe Is It - How to Handle the Plant

1. Barbara Kay profile image87
      Barbara Kayposted 11 days ago in reply to this

I"ve noticed that you used the word "Hogweed" so many times that it may have been considered spam by the search engines. Others probably have more suggestions, but this is one that may be keeping you from being chosen for the niche sites. Otherwise you have written a good article.

2. RTalloni profile image87
    RTalloniposted 11 days ago

There are many single sentence paragraphs.  Also, capitalization rules are something you'll want to research.

3. chasmac profile image98
    chasmacposted 11 days ago

Fix the title and a few grammar/ typo errors in titles and text.
    Why do you start the title with an asterisk (*)? I'm sure HP won't like that, and neither will search engines.
    Your title starts with a question so it needs a question mark.

Giant Hogweed: How Safe is it? - How to Handle the Plant

The first subtitle also needs a question mark - "How Dangerous is the Giant Hogweed?"

And so too does the first sentence "They say that the Giant Hogweed is a dangerous plant, but how dangerous is it really?"

You have consistently typed giant hogweed in title case throughout the text. Don't! It's "giant hogweed". Don't capitalise any part of plant names in English within the text unless the type of noun requires it - such as "Indian celery". There are special rules for capitalising Latin names, though.

"Sweet white Crystals will be formed..." Don't capitalise crystals.

"They taste a bit like a combination of Cucumber, Coconut and Mandarins." Don't capitalise cucumber, coconut or mandarins.

charactaristic burn like blisters = characteristic burn-like blisters

The sap of the plant is phototoxic which means it can burn your skin when touched. (comma after "phototoxic" "needed.
    Phototoxic - Is that a word? It shows as an error. Maybe it needs a hyphen -
    "photo-toxic".

"Where Does the Giant Hogweed Comes From" (needs question mark and Comes = Come).

There are some more questions without q marks, capitalisation issues (e.g., Magnificent Pulchritude and Giant Queen) and a few more typos I saw like "area's" instead of "areas" Find and fix them all because apart from those errors, it's a well-written, informative Hub that deserves its place on a niche site. But there's no way it'll make it there until you fix those errors.

4. Titia profile image92
    Titiaposted 11 days ago

Ok, thanks all for the suggestions. I thought I had put the text through spelling and grammar, like I do when updating a hub, but maybe I forgot this one. English is not my native language and I still struggle sometimes when and when not to use capitals.

1. chasmac profile image98
      chasmacposted 11 days ago in reply to this

No problem - glad to help. About the asterisk that precedes most of your Hub titles, I see that at least one Hub with an asterisk has made it to the niche site, Pethelpful. So maybe I was wrong about them being a possible problem.

1. Titia profile image92
        Titiaposted 11 days ago in reply to this

Yes I know, but I'm removing the * now from my titles when I update them. It's easy so see which hubs still need updates. Some of them I haven't touched yet since they were transferred. Some hub I unpublished myself until I have time to give them a proper overhauling.

working