jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

250 Characters Inadequate for Replies to Comments to Questions

1. eugbug profile image93
    eugbugposted 5 weeks ago

Is there a reason for this limit?

2. mike102771 profile image84
    mike102771posted 5 weeks ago

This is just a guess, but if you give some people a chance they will write a novella of a reply completely taking over the comments.

It is very difficult to encapsulate an abstract idea in 250 words much less characters.

eugbugposted 5 weeks ago in reply to this

I agree, you're probably right. Forum replies can be indefinitely long and threads often extend over multiple pages. I presume the idea of the Q & A section is to keep everything concise.

2. RTalloni profile image87
      RTalloniposted 5 weeks ago in reply to this

I've wished more room was available at times but the challenge of the 250 word limit is a useful way to work on refining my writing.  Concise yet meaningful sentences make for great articles!

3. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 5 weeks ago

The original idea of the Q&A was to ask questions you wanted to know the answer to (preferably in the shape of a Hub) - things like "does anyone know how to fix a broken snaffelpuffer?" - not a place to conduct debates.  That's what the topical forums are for.

eugbugposted 5 weeks ago in reply to this

"How to Fix a Broken Snaffelpuffer" - Hmm, you've just given me inspiration for writing a new hub smile

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image93
      DzyMsLizzyposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

Hmmm...now, is a snaffelpuffer a saddle for a snuffaluffagus?  ;-)

I do find it hard, sometimes, to limit characters so strictly.  But 250 is nearly twice what Twitter allows--so it seems 'generous' by comparison.
      Nonetheless, I do believe such character-delimited forums are what gave rise to the 'text-speak' shorthand, such as LOL, CUL8TR, BRB, IDK, and the like.  B4 U get mad @ ur kid 4 using it; reflect on these limitations online! ;-)

3. MizBejabbers profile image90
      MizBejabbersposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

A lot of people write questions when they should be putting the topic into a forum. However, a lot of people are ignorant about forums. The first time I posted a topic for discussion in a forum, somebody jumped down my throat and said we couldn't use forums for that and that it had to go into the Q & A. I was mortified, but then somebody else corrected them and said that I had done it properly in the Freeforum. That discussion alone was interesting even if it was off topic. I don't mind seeing the texting shorthand in Q & A, but I notice that some ppl. r using it 4 4ums. Catch my drift?

4. James Mabrey profile image70
    James Mabreyposted 4 weeks ago

A book can be written in 250 words. It's all about how use the.
    People create viral tweets in 140 words. 250 words in two much to answer any question.

1. MizBejabbers profile image90
      MizBejabbersposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

250 word book? I think that's called "flash fiction", unless it's true, then I guess it would be "flash nonfiction."

working