jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Why did I not think of this?

1. 0
    Janettaposted 7 years ago

I keep seeing so many new people posting "I'm New" messages in the forums. It's a great idea--good way to get yourself out there and known. Wish I'd thought to do that.  Although once I found the forum, I was sucked in and now I'm hooked big_smile

2. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

I guess you made yourself well known even without such a post. At least it looks like you always were here smile

3. Everyday Miracles profile image92
    Everyday Miraclesposted 7 years ago

I agree with Misha, though I have to say that one of the things that helped you get "off the ground" is that you've got such great hubs!

4. bgpappa profile image84
    bgpappaposted 7 years ago

I actually think most of them are inappropriate.  The ones that say hi are fine.  But the ones asking people to read there stuff over and over again bug me.  Write good stuff, people read you.  Don't beg.

And the constant basic questions being asked.  I made the mistake of reading other hubs and reading the previously posted forums. Wow, I am dumb.

I think my way was better.  Became a better writer because of it and learned "hubbing" faster, I think.  Only time will tell.

1. Everyday Miracles profile image92
      Everyday Miraclesposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I jumped right in. And my hubs show that fact, I might add. I've edited a few of them but not nearly enough. Many from my first week still need work. That being said, I was (and am) writing again and that was (and is) important to me.

I didn't make some of the common mistakes because I read the TOS and the FAQ before signing up. I've answered a few questions about Flagship and Capstone and have only been here four weeks. All this is because I've taken the time to read some of the best hubbers around (Chuck, Maddie Ruud, Mark Knowles and others). It's a growth process, but you're right, it doesn't start with making yourself look like a jerk.

5. 0
    Janettaposted 7 years ago

awww...misha and em--flattery will get you everywhere LOL smile

I know what you mean bgpappa--that gets a little old. Soliciting readers in the forums isn't too cool.

6. CADarko profile image60
    CADarkoposted 7 years ago

I think reading other's hubs as a beginner is a great way to learn what is appropriate content. The diversity of hubpages is wonderful. I write on another site and it is all informational content.

Hubpages really gives you a way to write creatively, which is a welcome relief for me as I do a lot of term papers (in college) and stuffy writing as you can see from my first hub.

This weekend I am going to a rodeo and can't wait to do a hub on that.

7. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 7 years ago

I think it's wonderful when Newbies ask for a critique hmm least they are *asking* smile and it feels good to welcome them at the same time. For me anyways, tongue lol lol

8. Everyday Miracles profile image92
    Everyday Miraclesposted 7 years ago

I wasn't referring to critique, DameScribe. Not sure if you were referring to me. I meant when people ask questions that are covered such as "do I get paid for this?"