jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (19 posts)

Regarding your article: Anyone reply to reader emails?

1. Will Apse profile image90
    Will Apseposted 4 weeks ago

The emails that I have had from readers would have been a useful addition to the comments section of a page. But are annoying simply as emails.

Is it possible to discourage 'contact the author' misuse? Maybe place the link at the bottom. Say 'please use comment section for page-related questions' or suchlike?

I have never replied to a reader, since I can see no reason to.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

You can turn off this option if you don't find it useful. Simply sign into HubPages, visit your My Account page, go to the Profile tab, choose Account Settings, and uncheck the "Allow others to contact you?" box.

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
        Marisa Wrightposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

The trouble with that option, Christy, is that it stops everyone from contacting us, even our fellow Hubbers and (as theraggededge says) potential clients.

The message here is that the "contact the author" link is TOO prominent on each Hub, causing readers to email us rather than read the article or ask in the comments. 

In other words, it's reducing reader interaction on our Hubs which cannot possibly be a good thing.

1. wilderness profile image96
          wildernessposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

Agreed to both problems.  Would it help, if it is  possible, to make that link visible only to those signed in?

2. Kylyssa profile image95
      Kylyssaposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

How will people who wish to print publish something you've written on Hubpages or to hire you to do a targeted writing gig contact you if you shut it off?

1. FatFreddysCat profile image96
        FatFreddysCatposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

Realistically, how often does such a thing actually happen?

I mean, I've been here six years, and I'm still waiting for Rolling Stone to call me up and offer me a gig riding on Metallica's tour bus for a cover story. big_smile

Hey Jann Wenner - I'm available!  Hook a brother up! I work cheap!! big_smile

1. theraggededge profile image94
          theraggededgeposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

Happened to me. I was contacted by an editor because she'd read my hubs, and have been writing for them for three years. Over $14k earned. So glad she was able to contact me smile

1. FatFreddysCat profile image96
            FatFreddysCatposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

Nice. Wish I got that lucky! big_smile

1. Barbara Kay profile image86
              Barbara Kayposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

I had someone contact me a couple of years back. Because she paid me poorly, I quit after a couple of months.

2. Kylyssa profile image95
          Kylyssaposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

I've had three hubs picked up by print publishers since I joined HubPages. I've gotten five realistic offers for writing gigs on craft topics and I've been contacted by over a dozen charities to write copy for their websites through HubPages. I'm nothing special; I'll bet the popular folks on here get many more such offers and requests.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image96
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 weeks ago

I've only gotten a handful of those e-mails in all of the six years I've been here...and most of them have been from spammers that I called out in the forums or Q&A section smile

One guy sent me a message that was just the word "Loser" repeated about 1000 times.

Another one told me he hoped my mother would get raped.

Nice, huh?

I didn't respond in either case because I didn't want either of them to get my "real" email address so they could start bombing me regularly.

In both cases I clicked the button that would report the sender(s) to HP for being abusive, and they were banned immediately.

Will Apseposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

I would to see the emails the author of this page gets: https://dengarden.com/gardening/howtokillfrogs

1. lobobrandon profile image83
        lobobrandonposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

Nice find. The comments on that hub yikes haha

Regarding the original question. If there's really useful stuff, why not include an FAQ towards the end of the hub or find another way to include the information in the hub. I'm sure they're asking as they didn't find the details in there. Let's not forget, you've said it yourself: would have been a useful addition to the comments section

That page needs to be adapted for television, lol.

Just on the original point, the whole reason we write is to reach a large audience rather than engage in one to ones.

So, it's nice to be reachable, but not so good to get emails that should really be in the public forum.

Maybe, the 'contact the author' thing should only appear when you click the author profile.

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image94
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 4 weeks ago

Gosh, I don't get a lot, but I do get some - and often it is someone asking for my advice, which I'm happy to give, and I get very thankful replies for those transactions. So I'm happy about that.

I also get some bit of odd questions which I'd like to be able to answer. Sometimes I just get someone telling me how excited they are about things which we share in common, talking about products and such.

Every so often I get some hate mail. Nothing frightening, just some suggestions about where I should go and where I could probably shove things. I usually try to be very subtle on touchy things these days. It's kinda all worth it.

At first I wondered how these people were getting my email address, but I can see how it wouldn't be unreasonable for HP Network to feel obliged to supply that, whether we wanted it or not. This stuff is all very very public.

The value of the comments section is that anyone can get involved. So if you don't have an answer to a query, someone else might.

That howtokill frogs page is a good example, as well as downright hilarious.

Bottomline: I only have so many words in me on any given day, lol.

If I am going to answer something I would prefer it benefited the many, not just one individual.

2. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

Never gotten any hate mail.  Some thank-you's and lots of questions asking for help.  As you say, I'm glad to help out, but would prefer that the questions were in the form of a comment.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image96
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 weeks ago

Well, shoot. I guess I just suck. (*kicks rock*) big_smile

5. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 4 weeks ago

I quite regularly get mail through HP, often it it is requests for help from people in Saudi as I wrote a lot of hubs about working there, and also from journalists investigating all sorts of things there. Can almost guarantee that as soon as anything happens in that country I will have at least one email through HP or my own site about working in Saudi from someone asking for info about it... I have ended up being quoted through the BBC and other places because of it...
    I guess it depends on what you will write about and how many others are writing about it as to whether you will get any mail - and yes I do get a few "burn in hell infidel" type emails and comments because of the subject area I write about.

working