jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (13 posts)

How long does it take to start earning some money at HP?

1. Amie S profile image79
    Amie Sposted 10 days ago

How long does it take to start earning once the ads show up i.e after 5 of your articles are featured)?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image92
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 days ago in reply to this

I checked your profile and see that you are very new and only have 3 hubs so far.  If you want to earn, here are some things you need to do:

Introduce yourself on your profile page
      create well written hubs on searchable topics that have appropriate titles
      keep your articles focused on your topic
      learn a bit about using SEO
      create beautiful appropriate images, at least one of which on each post is a "made for PInterest" photo, and then post it on that site.
      Use social networking sites to market your work
      write many, many articles.

It takes time to earn here, but the sooner you start doing these things, the more likely you are to make money. How much? Who knows?  Some people never figure out how to earn here, while some are smart enough to understand how this site works and what the things are that affect readership.

Welcome to HP and good luck!

2. tomsmithnow profile image82
    tomsmithnowposted 10 days ago

It's my understanding it can take months, maybe 6 months or more to make money on here. Guess it varies from person to person regarding: your content, activity in this community, extra traffic you can bring to it, capsules you have, etc. It is my understanding there could be a lot of factors involved to determine the money you can make on here, but it is possible, and it does take time and patience.

Amie Sposted 10 days ago in reply to this

Great. Thanks.

2. galleryofgrace profile image83
      galleryofgraceposted 10 days ago in reply to this

It could be a couple years before you make pay out. One or two cents a day is about average.

3. NateB11 profile image93
    NateB11posted 9 days ago

If you get a lot of traffic quickly, 3 months. If you don't get a lot of traffic quickly, it can take at least 2 years. Before I learned about keywords and how to get traffic, it had taken me 2 years to start making a payout. Before that, I'd written what I knew about but didn't understand what it took to bring in traffic.

Those are the extreme ends of the spectrum, to me. Three months to 2 years. Could take longer, could take less time. Might take 6 months or 8 months, etc.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 days ago in reply to this

Nate pretty much sums it up.

2. Amie S profile image79
      Amie Sposted 9 days ago in reply to this

Thanks, Nate. What is a good per article score, hits etc. for it to fetch "good" traffic?

1. NateB11 profile image93
        NateB11posted 9 days ago in reply to this

The score doesn't affect traffic. What gets traffic are keyphrases that people type into the search engine to look for articles. If you've created a title for your article that pretty much matches what people actually type into the search engine to search, you are liable to get traffic, depending on how many people actually use the keyphrase and how good your content is. As general advice I tend to direct people to Wrylilt's Hub on using Google Auto-Suggest to find keywords/phrases. After you've written the article and publish it, it's mainly a matter of time to see if traffic comes. You can Google the keyphrase/title to see where it is in search results. You also want to see that your traffic is actually coming from a search engine and not just other users here at Hubpages; you can find those stats here in your account or you can use Google Analytics.

How many hits you need, I'm not sure, that's hard for me to say. I'd say an article is doing well if it gets 20, really good, to me, if it gets hundreds, a day. Although, I do keep Hubs that just get little trickles of traffic, they can add up. Overall, I'd say if you are getting around 500 views a day you're probably making a payout every month. That's for all your Hubs. Of course, the more the views, the more the earnings.  I think it's a good and valid rule that you make 80 percent of your money/traffic from 20 percent of your articles.

But I'd have to say this: To me, really good traffic would be at least 1500 views, overall, a day. I have an account here that, more or less, achieves that goal. But I'm okay with around 500 a day, more or less. Some of the articles on the account that gets at least 1500 views a day has articles that get several hundred views a day, and some that get dozens and some that get several.

Amie Sposted 9 days ago in reply to this

Thanks for the elaborate answer.

No problem.

working