jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

I'd like feedback on my Hub: Antique & Vintage Telephones

1. JaneNew profile image54
    JaneNewposted 4 weeks ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my Hub Antique & Vintage Telephones. What can I do to improve?
    I had this hub in here before and removed all the ads from it and it still won't pass.  Anymore ideas??
    Thanks!

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

Hi Jane,

You still have a lot of passive writing, though I wouldn't think that would prevent the hub being approved. Nevertheless, did you try running the text through the Hemingway app?

You need to explain the difference between antique and vintage right up front, not at the end in the poll capsule.

You must write to the title. In other words, only write about the phones themselves, not about the Bell co. and such like. So you would focus on the handsets, their dates of manufacture, what made them different from the ones before, etc. I think saying that little changed in your introduction is incorrect. The technology may have stayed the same, but design and styling changed enormously. The bit about mobiles is irrelevant because you are not writing about them, so leave them out.

How about a photographic timeline of each major design change, the name of the designer, the year it was introduced? What was so great about them?

Try Googling the title of your article and see what other people are writing. You can't copy them, but you'll pick up some interesting facts.

The image of the cream phone is pixelated. HP won't allow low quality images, so you need to find a better one. Go here to find all the free-to-use, high quality images you need:

https://pixabay.com/en/photos/?hp=& … er=popular

I typed in 'antique phone', so you could also try 'vintage phone'.

Your husband doing relief milking is not relevant. You must make every sentence link back to the title and the topic. It's okay to go off the subject in a conversation, but not in an article. It's called 'writing to the title'.

I know all this is hard work, but that's what a writer does. To make this article useful, you need lots more research and better photos. It's a good topic, but you have to remember that HubPages is looking for high quality, magazine-style articles - the kind you'd find in a Sunday supplement. You have to offer lots of interesting facts and make your writing sparkle.

You can do it.

Good luck.

JaneNewposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

Thanks, I will try again.  I checked the Hemingway app but from what I can see it is not free.  It would have to work on my desk top since I don't have a smart phone.

1. theraggededge profile image96
          theraggededgeposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

Can't you access it via the website on your computer? http://www.hemingwayapp.com

You just press Ctrl A, then press Delete to make all that text go away, then you copy and paste your own text right into it. If you can access HubPages, you can access Hemingway.

It's completely free on the web.

Ok, I got it now. smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

Jane, you read my Basic Rules Hub - I suggest you also read my Hub on How to Optimize Your Hubs, it might help.

I plan to check it out, thanks

2. srirad0675 profile image90
    srirad0675posted 4 weeks ago

Really useful and inspiring. Thank you.

working