jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)

Is there a new HubPages policy on posting?

1. TamarFleishman profile image2
    TamarFleishmanposted 5 days ago

I've been writing for over a year here and recently, I see where I can't post immediately. I didn't violate any TOS. It has gone from 15 minutes to post to it's been more than a day. Also, all of my articles are getting tagged as spammy, but they aren't. So, without being featured, it's no better than singing in the shower. I'm trying this as my last hurrah, because quite frankly, I don't care for how HP is treating me or my writing.

Any similar experiences?

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 days ago in reply to this

I do wish HubPages would choose its terminology more carefully.  "Spammy elements"  does NOT mean your Hubs are spam!   

"Spammy elements" just means you have links in your Hubs that don't meet the rules.   The rules about links haven't changed, but they are being a LOT stricter about applying them now. 

I have a Hub called The Basic Rules, which explains the rules in detail.  You'll find it on the slider on my profile.  Too long to explain here.

As for not being able to post - it might be a glitch on your computer?

TamarFleishmanposted 5 days ago in reply to this

Honestly, I've only been including one link per article, one relevant link. You may be onto something with the glitch . . . maybe it's a tech thing. I'll at least ask.

1. Barbara Kay profile image87
          Barbara Kayposted 5 days ago in reply to this

I see that you write a lot of hubs about different products. The moderators might  think you are just trying to promote your own products. I am just guessing.

I've included Amazon links on my crochet hubs to yarn that was needed to complete the projects and crochet hooks and they considered them spam. The special yarn was needed to complete the projects. I don't think moderators always understand the subject. Could that be it?

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
            Marisa Wrightposted 4 days ago in reply to this

Barbara, there is an extra requirement which you may not be aware of.  It's not enough to be relevant.  You have to add a personal recommendation.  So you have to say why you're recommending that particular brand of yarn, and you have to express it in a personal way (i.e. "I like ..... brand because I find it stronger than the other brands", not "this yarn is known for its strength").

Do that, and you'll be able to put the yarns back in.

2. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 5 days ago in reply to this

There is relevant and there is relevant.  A link to a retail establishment, whether brick or online, is not particularly relevant according to HP.  It's like giving a link to Amazon's home page when you write about a specific item.  At least I think that's why they are being considered "spammy".

Example: I wrote about a particular electrical tool, necessary for safety when doing electrical work.  An unusual tool, that few people know about, but one that is extremely useful.  And I provided a link, but not to Amazon home page.  To the specific page where Amazon sells that tool and only the tool that was the subject of the hub and a tool that I, personally, have used.

But there is perhaps another problem as well, and that is the hub itself.  HP is about writing magazine quality articles - something a magazine might print.  Looking at several of your reviews, they were all 400 or 500 words in length, and that just isn't good enough.  When I decide what to write I feel that if I can't provide a minimum of 1000 words of useful information I won't do it at all, and prefer 1500+. 

Example:  Were I to write about wigs, I might include information on materials used and what is best or not-so-good.  Care of the wig.  Styling of one.  How or when to wear one.  Advantages and disadvantages of a wig.  Color choices, now and future (can they be dyed?).  As much information as I can come up with, in other words, about wigs.  I might include names of popular or quality manufacturers, but never a link to one.

Your hub gives only a flash of information and adds a link to a particular seller.  If you want a link to a seller then that hub should be about that seller, not about it's general line of products.  You didn't write about hundreds of different wigs; don't give a link to someone offering hundreds of different wigs. 

This post is kind of rambling and disjointed; if it's not clear I'll try again.  Basically, your reviews are not what HP is looking for and that "relevant" means really, really relevant to the topic of your hub.  Not to a general seller that carries the item discussed.

TamarFleishmanposted 5 days ago in reply to this

Thanks for the insight. I also was wondering, though, about the inability to publish at all. There hasn't been a notification or decision or anything! Why wouldn't I be able to post immediately, like I was doing?

1. wilderness profile image95
              wildernessposted 5 days ago in reply to this

Anything I would say here would be purely a guess.  If you refer to posting a hub it could be a backup in the QAP.  Or you might be selected for special consideration by staff, if they even do that (I don't have a clue)

2. Marisa Wright profile image94
              Marisa Wrightposted 4 days ago in reply to this

I answered that question on your other thread, but in the meantime I've also taken a quick look at your Hubs.

I think I see another reason why your reviews are being classified as "spammy".    The style is too much like paid reviews, which are against TOS.   

I wonder if someone gave you misguided advice when you joined HubPages, or perhaps you wrote for a site like Helium.com before.   Whatever the reason, your writing style is wrong for HubPages.  You're clearly a capable writer, so it should be easy for you to adjust your approach - it's just a matter of understanding what's needed.

What's sometimes confusing is that HubPages says it doesn't want "personal" articles - but it doesn't want impersonal articles either!   HP doesn't want articles about our personal lives, but it does want articles based on our personal experiences, where they have value to others.

That's because impersonal reviews are too common on the internet already - HubPages' point of difference is that our articles offer a personal perspective, while being well-researched, informative and balanced. 

So, if you're reviewing a restaurant, you don't say, "The ambiance and decor, as soon as you walk in, has the vintage feel of a turn of the century brasserie".  You say, "As soon as I walked in, I felt as though I had stepped back over a hundred years, to a turn of the century brasserie".  (Actually, on reading the rest of that article, you do relate your personal experience later - however, a moderator reading the opening paragraphs might jump to the conclusion it's a promotional piece paid for by the restaurant - so make sure you open your Hub with a personal statement to avoid that).

Another point I notice is that the reviews I read were overwhelmingly positive, with no negatives mentioned.  That's immediately suspicious because nothing is perfect: a paid review will omit all the negatives but a personal review is likely to mention them, even if they are just small niggles.

2. Bedbugabscond profile image88
    Bedbugabscondposted 4 days ago

I opened one of your articles about cosmetics. You link to the cosmetics home page. This is not standard practice for reviews. If you were to mathematically analyze reviews, you might find that links of this type are not found in natural reviews.

Googles quality guidelines on reviews are what have tightened, and HubPages is doing their jobs to make sure all reviews are natural and not forced. I know it is hard to understand why liking like that is spammy, but that is what the data and analysis suggest.

While others are saying they have problems with linking to Amazon. You are allowed to use Amazon capsules. That is what they are there for. Google doesn't want any deceptive practices. So ANYTHING that might make you a profit must be clearly marked to the reader.

When you embed links in the text, the meaning becomes less clear. However, if you use an Amazon capsule then the intent is clear. It looks like what it is. When the user clicks a capsule that is appropriately used it signifies the understanding that they are going to a marketplace.

Is HP being overly cautious? Perhaps. But it is better to be safe than sorry.

Where it gets complicated is where you want to link a brand legitly, but there is no Amazon equivalent.

3. cheaptrick profile image73
    cheaptrickposted 4 days ago

I don't know if or what rule I broke but other than signing in (and this post) I haven't been able to get anything to work here...no views anymore either.If I'm being censured a notification would be nice...

working