jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (11 posts)

Is Different Pages From Same Source Site Spammy?

1. Jana Louise Smit profile image86
    Jana Louise Smitposted 4 weeks ago

Hi guys, forgive the noob question but I cannot find it elsewhere in the forums. I want to submit a Hub about archaeological finds and will provide the source list at the end if the readers want to check the sites I got my research from. I always go for solid sites like BBC, Livescience, National Geographic and so on. Is it considered spammy to list, for example 3 links to BBC but each goes to a different BBC article? Thanks.

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

Hi Jane,

You can't include more than two links to the same domain - that includes image sources too.

You can get round it by simply listing your references - you don't have to link to them. People are quite capable of using Google to find a source they are interested in.

Hope that helps.

Jana Louise Smitposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

That definitely helps, thank you so much! Sounds like a better idea to list the references. smile

2. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

Hi Jana, we do restrict links to two to the same domain per article, as theraggededge mentions, but we also make exceptions for certain informational and academic domains (wikipedia, .gov sites, etc). I'm not sure if those sites are whitelisted, but I recommend including them and only removing them if the article is moderated.

If your article is moderated, you can easily fix it by taking the links out again, but if that happens, I recommend also starting a new forum thread and requesting that the links you need be whitelisted.

Thank you Christy. That was also a great answer. smile

2. makingamark profile image71
        makingamarkposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

Christy - did you use to "whitelist" about.com?
        The reason I ask is I've just had a hub highlighted for having more than three links to about.com (albeit different bits). All the links now convert to thoughtco.com - as per their reconfiguration/rebranding - see https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/02/about … o-dotdash/

Just wondering what approach HubPages has taken to about.com in the past and will be taking to its successors - and whether they will be white-listed on the basis that it's reasonable to expect they will take most of their traffic and status with them

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image91
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

The people here have already answered this question for you, but I'd like to add that I don't think it's a good idea to use too many links, no matter the sources.  Lots of writers get their articles tossed back to them due to links, even when they are to their own articles.

I'm guilty of over-sourcing! I believe I will tone down a bit, thanks for the tip smile

2. makingamark profile image71
        makingamarkposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

It's an interesting topic.

I've got a blog with over 11 million pageviews which has been packed with links on each and every blog post for the last 11 years. However they are ALWAYS highly relevant to the very niche topic - and Google likes the blog.

For me the issue is less how many links but whether they are highly relevant to the topic, well chosen and high quality.

It won;t work as a strategy with HubPages but it works a treat elsewhere!

2. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image91
    Beth Eaglescliffeposted 4 weeks ago

Hi Jana, I was just browsing your sponge article and I notice you're already getting some spammy comments posted. I recommend you set your Global Comment Capsule Settings (go to stats page and then comments from top menu) to "Comments must be approved before they appear".

You'll find when the school holidays start you'll get all kind of odd comments. roll I think it spoils a good article if someone has posted spam links or written some other rubbish at the end of your great writing. Be ruthless and delete anything you don't like. cool

Hi Beth. I will definitely follow your suggestion regarding the comment capsule! I'm still very new and never realized the damage such comments can do. sad

working