jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

I'd like feedback on my article: Washington Post or Washington Traitors?

1. Austin Hodges profile image60
    Austin Hodgesposted 9 days ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my article Washington Post or Washington Traitors? (must be signed in to view). What can I do to improve? Thanks!

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image92
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 days ago in reply to this

Hi: 
      Here are some of the problems I see in your post:

First, it is an opinion piece, not a post.
      Second, you have not divided the sections into capsules.
      Third,You have no photos.
      Fourth,It is not long enough...you should have at least 1000 words.
      Fifth, do not apologize for your writing AND you are a professional writer, so don't say that you are not.  If you make money from your writing, even if it is only one cent, you are a pro.
      You also have not cited sources for the opinions you state.

This piece really belongs as an editorial in a newspaper...perhaps a letter to the editor.  It's the wrong kind of writing for HP.

Finally, I would advise you to be very careful about what you say.  Saying something is "treason" is a very serious accusation, especially when leveled at a highly respected newspaper and especially when it is made on a public forum in writing. 

Just as you are stating your opinions and have the right to do so, so do they.  Making an accusation such as this simply because you "think" something is happening can be grounds for a lawsuit, and I doubt you want to put yourself in the position  of being the recipient of one.

I applaud your passion and like your writing, but you should always remember that it is important to protect yourself when writing and tread carefully when making accusations about other people or entities.  Remember always that the pen is mightier than the sword.

2. pen promulgates profile image81
    pen promulgatesposted 9 days ago

Hey Austin,
    Welcome to Hubpages.
    While your message is clear and your voice is strong, the write-up is more like a blog post. HP is about magazine-style, media-rich articles that give information to people who search queries online.

There are very few grammar and punctuation issues (as good as negligible). You have already apologized for that, but of course it matters for the QAP.

3. AliciaC profile image97
    AliciaCposted 9 days ago

Pen promulgates has raised some good points. The hub could be made more attractive with the addition of relevant photos and other media, but I think a major problem is the disclaimer at the bottom. You say that there "will be mistakes with grammar and sentence structure issues" in your hub. I don’t think the hub will pass QAP with that disclaimer there. Even if we are amateur writers, it’s expected that we'll do the best job that we can with grammar. Telling the reader that we’ve made errors doesn’t look good on a hub.

Edit: I agree with TimeTraveler2 as well. Criticism is fine, but using the word "treason" is risky.

4. Austin Hodges profile image60
    Austin Hodgesposted 9 days ago

Thank you everybody for taking the time to post and I agree with you all and will definitely take the advice. Have a great day

working