jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

This is NOT a blog site

1. Terri Paajanen profile image84
    Terri Paajanenposted 8 years ago

Is it possible to add something in big bold text on the sign-up page that this is NOT a site for posting personal blogs. I've noticed so many new Hubs that are really blog postings, and where people even call them blogs. Sometimes they have some value to their content, but mostly they are just personal ramblings.

I think it needs to be made clearer when people join Hubpages that this isn't a blogging site.

2. jimmythejock profile image82
    jimmythejockposted 8 years ago

Hi terri,
    since hubpages started, they have welcomed anyone who has anything to say, "write about any topic under the sun" was the hubpages motto, bloggers have always been welcome here and infact Mr Paul edmondson wrote a hub inviting people to write blogs on hubpages.

many people write on many different subjects on hubpages and we all have different preferences if we start to get snobbish about what should and what should not be published then hubpages will fall by the wayside like many more sites before it......jimmy

Terri Paajanenposted 8 years ago in reply to this

You have a point, I admit. But the "about us" page says:

"Hubbers (HubPages authors) earn money by publishing their Hubs (content-rich Internet pages) on topics they know and love,"

A couple paragraphs about why today sucked at school isn't content-rich, and not reallly "on a topic" either.

I guess it's just my opinion. You're right, Paul has suggested doing blogs here so I will keep my mouth shut about it.

3. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

....oh, so that's where it comes from.  Personally, I find that a concern. 

For some reason, I just got a welcome email from HubPages (2 months after I joined!).  I deleted it, but I'm sure it also said Hubpages was about writing interesting and informative articles.

I'd have thought HubPages wants to draw readership not just through search engines, but by people learning that HubPages is a good place to come to as a destination?  In which case we should all be striving to maintain the quality of Hubs.  I'm not sure that encouraging blogs is the way to go.

4. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 8 years ago

Why do you think HubPages has a thumb's up and thumb's down rating feature? 

This is how the user community is supposed to give them feedback to help maintain the quality of the hubs.  Read something you like, be sure to give it a thumb's up.  See something that you think is poor content?  Well, give it a thumb's down.

Terri Paajanenposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Thumbs up or down are just votes of opinion, and don't actually do anything. The poster has no way of knowing why they got a thumbs down. The blogs (or whatever) stay in place no matter how many thumbs down they get.

Using the flag option will bring the hub to staff attention, which I do when I see poor hubs. But keeping people from posting them in the first place would save everyone alot of work. Presuming they are considered inappropriate for the site, which is something still up in the air.

5. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

I think the issue is that I (and presumably Terri) have been giving the thumbs down to blog-type Hubs in the belief that they don't belong here - whereas there seems to be some suggestion that they are OK.

6. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 8 years ago

HubPages is still so new as an entity, I think both the creators and users are experimenting with what works best.  Part of why I'm developing content on places like HubPages and Squidoo is so that I can find out what works best for ME, not to figure out how each web site should be.  That's the job of the admin and staff of those companies.

The most important thing we can do is give honest feedback to the HubPages Admin via our participation in the site.   I too feel that there are hubs here that I don't think belong and I rate them accordingly and then go about my Hub business.

7. teeray profile image74
    teerayposted 8 years ago

A lot of my hubs are kind of like blog entries, but I'm not getting too many bad commenting and thumbs downs. I try to go back later on and make improvements, but sometimes I don't always know what's best.

I think a lot of people are still learning - the same as I am - but I think that content quality will improve in time. I'm seeing a lot of really interesting hubs with great content this month.