How to Counteract Forum Spam

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (22 posts)
  1. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

I have been seeing a lot of forum spam lately.

I think it could be *greatly* reduced by only allowing new sign-ups to post under the help section until they've published one hub. After they've published their first hub, then they could post anywhere.

I think this would deter a lot of the people who sign-up just to post spam links in the forums.

Just a thought ! smile

1. Capable Woman profile image61
      Capable Womanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ya, but then maybe they would make even worse spam...imagine bogus hubs with nothing but gibberish that are created only to get the poster to Step 2 (forum posting).

I dunno...

I think ignoring them is probably best. If they see no results from their post, maybe they will go away..?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Um...people do that already smile

Best way is to report spam when you see it on the forum.

2. JamaGenee profile image78
    JamaGeneeposted 14 years ago

girly_girl, spammers don't join to write hubs, only to post a link to an outside website in as many threads as possible before HP cancels the account. 

Requiring new sign ups to write one hub (or more) will not reduce or eliminate spamming, which is why it's important that the rest of us hit the Report button as soon as the first duplicate "messages" are posted.

3. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

Right, since spammers don't join to write hubs, they wouldn't be able to post spam under my proposed method.

In order to use the forums, a new user would first have to write and publish a hub. Spammers aren't going to take the time to write and publish a hub just so they can post spam on the forum.

1. lisafwg01 profile image59
      lisafwg01posted 14 years agoin reply to this

What would stop a spammer from posting a 200 word ad as a Hub and then start posting on the forum?

Not to mention that some people ask questions about writing a Hub before they actually write one.

Best bet is just report, IMO

4. darkside profile image63
    darksideposted 14 years ago

We have had some hubbers come and ask for advice before publishing a hub. Sometimes they have trouble even getting started.

5. Kelsey Tallis profile image64
    Kelsey Tallisposted 14 years ago

I agree that reporting it as soon as you see it is probably the best way to handle it (and don't respond to or quote it). Especially (as darkside pointed out) when some new people want to ask questions before they publish. If they're uncertain about what they are doing and have to publish a hub before they can ask a question, they may just get discouraged, give up, and go elsewhere...

All forums get spam, and spam levels will always fluctuate.

6. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

How to I get rid of a fan , didnt relise til too late that she was a spammer.

1. JamaGenee profile image78
      JamaGeneeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Use the DENY button next to that fan.  That'll remove them from your fan list.

7. HealthCare Basics profile image58
    HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years ago

I agree to reporting spamming when you see it. When I first got up and running I had some major issues navigating around but got good advise through the Q&A and forums sections. Still, I need to dig on more to get my hubs looking attractive.

8. profile image0
    MangoGirlposted 14 years ago

When you see a thread with zero replies and a strange title you instantly know it's a spam. I don't think these people mean any harm. They're just naive... maybe.

9. profile image0
    MangoGirlposted 14 years ago

Forgot to say, I'd make a different forum section for ads and would not allow links in any other forums.

1. Ivorwen profile image64
      Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Links can be very apropriate, depending on the question.

1. brad4l profile image72
        brad4lposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree. I don't think there is anything wrong with sharing a link, as long as it is not done for advertising or some sort of personal gain.

I am not so sure that an Ad section is really all that good of an idea either. I don't think it would really add anything to hubpages, other than another avenue for spammers. If you need to place an ad, there is always craigslist, ebay, or AdWords.

10. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

I know waht you're trying to say girly girl. Makes sense, not a bad suggestion. Ofcourse then we might just end up with spammers all over the need help sect. or like lisa said--posting an ad as a hub. I don't know if there is much at all *we* can do against spam other than report it. Maybe HP can conjur up some method for detecting them before they get that far. magic spam wand maybe....  big_smile

11. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Please don't feel sorry for spammers...they are scum, nothing less. They are fully aware of what they are doing.

1. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not always smile Just recall some fellow hubbers spamming stumbleupon or MIXX in a fair attempt to "promote" smile

1. Shadesbreath profile image79
        Shadesbreathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's true.  When I first signed up for HP, I read the how-to stuff in the Help screen and saw all the "share it" stuff, and it seemed like I was "supposed" to go to MIXX and other places to "SHARE"  lol.  I realize now that I was doing exactly what I blow people off for now, so, I guess I can cut people slack too.  I mean there's chronic spammers, who should all me smeared with jelly and strapped to an ant hill, and then there's ignorant spammers who will take advice and chill.

It's pretty easy when you're totally new to all this stuff to be so hopeful and enthusastic and want people to read your work that you don't realize there's a whole back end to how the system works.  Takes awhile to sort through it all, especially when just using the technology is confusing, much less understanding how the larger, social rules work juxtaposed with the advice you get from the "make money online" folks.

12. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Yes, but I'm talking about the ones who join up and posts the same post 5 times or more in a minute. If they don't think that is wrong then they are not smart enough to have an Internet account... smile And I'm not talking about Hubbers who post their own hub URLs.

13. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Yeah Shades, exactly my point. Not on Hubpages, but been there too smile

Susan, don't know about you, but I know myself can be a total dumb ass smile

14. freelanceworld profile image61
    freelanceworldposted 14 years ago

No body shd be allowed to post anywhere except One Board (help section)
    before he/she completes some 3 or 5 Hubs (of c course Non promotional)

This will cut short every shit off rest of forum.
    Simple

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)