jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Getting Published

1. ssaffery profile image79
    ssafferyposted 7 years ago

Greetings fellow hubbers and the entire world of "Internetters",

I am seeking a book publisher for my childrens fiction novel.  I'd like to know if anyone had a quick turn-around from a publisher they submitted their manuscript to. 

I've submitted my book manuscript back in February 2009 to several publishers here in Hawaii and I have not heard back from any of them.  Their web sites state that they will get back to you within 4 - 6 weeks.

I'm not worried at all, I just want to know if there are any publishers anyone here has worked with, had a quick turn-around, and had their book published.  If so, can you please point me to them.

Have a warm and pleasant day.

Thank you,

2. LondonGirl profile image90
    LondonGirlposted 7 years ago

Different country (UK) and different area of book completely (legal practioners' texts) but my OH and I have both submitted book proposals in the last year.

In OH's case, they didn't reply for 4 months, then replied with a contract and a schedule.

In my case, a joint effort with another barrister, they replied in about 3 weeks, then we spent another 3 months over the details.

ssafferyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thanks DonnCSmith.  I'm excited now as I await the status of those publishers I submitted my manuscript to.

3. DonnaCSmith profile image83
    DonnaCSmithposted 7 years ago

Patience is the name of the game. Sometimes a small publisher may get back to you in a few weeks. But, sometimes when it takes longer that can be good - it might mean they are taking time to read your manuscript! Rejections come back pretty fast;o)

ssafferyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thank you DonnaCSmith.  I thought with the bad economy right now in the United States, book publishers might be on vacation.

4. darkside profile image83
    darksideposted 7 years ago

While it takes a little longer, you should submit your manuscript to publishers one at a time.

5. DonnaCSmith profile image83
    DonnaCSmithposted 7 years ago

Unless the publishers' guidelines say no simltaneous submissions it is fine to submit to mulitple publishers. If you use The Writers Market most of the publishers listed say whether or not it is okay.

That is unless you sent a query and a publisher requested to see your manuscript - then you should wait. Also, it is courteous to mention in the cover letter if you are sending it out to multiple publishers. Just type simultaneous submission under your name at the bottm of the letter.

It is best to query first to save postage, not to mention printer ink and paper - again, unless the guidelines say to send the whole manuscript. The exception here is picture books. In that case send the manuscript with a cover letter. Guidelines will also tell you if they accept email submissions. Some companies do not because they don't like attachments.

1. 0
      Leta Sposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I second Donna's advice.  Also to say that many publishers ARE accepting e-mail submissions now primarily (although this is not across the board.)  And publishers are taking a lil break because of the economy, yes--it has effected them, too. 

And it really just depends on the publisher what their turn around time is--if they are on e-mail, it seems they can get back to you pretty quickly.  I remember a pretty quick interested response to a proposal I sent out for a series of books...unfortunately, after further talking, they decided it wasn't the time..  So what I'm saying is it could mean anything that you haven't heard back yet.  You just have to wait and see.

And keep sending stuff out!  It's a numbers game, lol. smile

6. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

I wouldn't normally recommend self-publishing but for a children's book, it might be worth considering. 

I suggest you contact Hubber Rochelle Frank, here's her Hub on her experience:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Self-Publish-A- … -We-did-it