jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Does putting a link to my web site on every hub drag down my score?

1. Pete Maida profile image60
    Pete Maidaposted 7 years ago

I thought I read this was the case.  If so then every one of my eighty or so hubs has suffered.  I want to display a link but not if the powers that be do not like it.  Can someone help clear this up?

2. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 7 years ago

As long as you are not linking to the same site every time you should be okay.  However, your author score is over ninety, and your hub scores are in a good range, so I would not worry in your case.  If you had several hubs dropping below fifty then you might start to worry.  Some people do not realize, but if you write on a topic that gets very little traffic certain hubs do not fair as well.  Once you add more to a non-trafficked hub you can boost the score.  However, most of the time I am just focused on writing new hubs as each one is just an experiment to me.

3. lindagoffigan profile image59
    lindagoffiganposted 7 years ago

Pete, if you are using external links, limit them to two as not to be banned for overpromoting. If you are monetizing, the internal links with keywords from Google Adwords Tool and Wordtracker Tool will help you to earn more.  Google Adsense likes links and keywords in the topic and introductory paragraph as the Google bots travels over your text better.  Concentrate on relevance and quality hubs in addition to the tips or just write for fun.

4. mugshot profile image77
    mugshotposted 7 years ago

I learnt that when I created my first lens on powerlifting, there are three lifts in the sport so I linked to the three exercise pages on my site....needless to say I got my hub blocked so had to remove one and point it elsewhere.

5. Pete Maida profile image60
    Pete Maidaposted 7 years ago

It sounds like I better take the link off.  I only put on one link but it is the same link on every hub.  I never thought it would be a bad thing to promote your own site; you certainly promote things for everyone else.

1. darkside profile image83
      darksideposted 7 years ago in reply to this

http://hubpages.com/hub/hubscore will give you an idea of things that impact negatively on your HubScore and Hubber Score.

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Pete, your Hubs can be classified as "overly promotional" in two ways - if you have more than two links to the same site on a single Hub, or if the majority of your Hubs all have one link to the same site.

There's a good purpose to the rule and it benefits all of us:  it cuts out the spammers who would post poor quality Hubs with little or no content, just to get multiple backlinks to their own sites.  Unfortunately, it also catches Hubbers who write good quality content with backlinks, but it's the only practical way to stop the spammers - HubPages simply doesn't have the staff to manually review Hubs.

I have a link to my own sites on several of my Hubs and haven't had any problems.