jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Be Very Wary of Online Advice or Advisors!

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image97
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 7 years ago

This is a post I have to be pretty vague on for what I hope will be obvious reasons but includes information from which I hope we can all learn.

I have been receiving e-mails from an online "associate" recently re the scandal of the small online business for which he works taking the advice of someone with "fifteen years'" experience. I do not know the full ins and outs as I was not personally involved but the basic bottom line is that the individual's fifteen years of experience relates to the fact that he is fifteen years old!

The simple message is: know who you are dealing with online. Their profile may not match reality. It's not just those looking for such as a date who can get caught out!

1. darkside profile image84
      darksideposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Give the kid a medal!

He'll go far in the world of online internet marketing or motivational speaking with that kind of skill.

I guess his only shortfall is that he neglected to mention that the only experience he's had is 15 years of breathing.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
        Eaglekiwiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yea I have to agree it is incredible the creativety which often attracts the trusting ( old school) sadly.
        Didnt take me long to relise everyones an expert online and it kick-started my old grey matter into alert mode lol.
        Many of us baby boomers were not born in the technology era ,but we sure as hell are gonna die in it.

oops just re-read that last part ,nah ,its ok I was just saying like it is.

2. Profmaggy profile image59
    Profmaggyposted 7 years ago

It's all too easy to be fooled.  Look at the headlines.  Even people who had met the man Madoff in person were duped.
    Thanks for your timely reminder.

3. earnestshub profile image87
    earnestshubposted 7 years ago

If we took all the scammers and frauds off the internet there would be 90% less wasted bandwidth!