jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

Can someone clarify this for me, please?

1. lisafwg01 profile image60
    lisafwg01posted 7 years ago

Almost a year ago I wrote an article and put it up on Helium (first and LAST time I would ever do that!). Because I had stupidly not read all of the fine print in the Helium user agreement I now cannot delete that article from their site in spite of the fact that I have no desire to be active there and would delete my account now if it meant I could have my article back!

Anyway, I decided to turn that article into a hub, but I have gotten a warning about the text being found elsewhere. Can we not create Hubs from other works even if those works are our own?

If this is not allowed I'll delete the hub, but it's a shame because it turned out well.

1. earnestshub profile image86
      earnestshubposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Under these circumstances I would seek the advice of the hubpages management, they will be able to tell you what options you have.

2. Teresa McGurk profile image82
      Teresa McGurkposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I believe it's allowed: it will just penalize that hubscore.

2. curiozities profile image59
    curiozitiesposted 7 years ago

What I did was take stuff I've written before for my own website, and re-wrote it to the point where it was a different piece, for use on HubPages.

1. goldentoad profile image61
      goldentoadposted 7 years ago in reply to this

3. lisafwg01 profile image60
    lisafwg01posted 7 years ago

Thank you all for your swift replies!

I emailed the Hub Team to get their POV and then I'll decide whether or not to delete it.

4. darkside profile image84
    darksideposted 7 years ago

Rejig it. I'm sure you can improve what you've written before.

5. freelanceworld profile image60
    freelanceworldposted 7 years ago

Well somebody accused "curiozities" as cheater above... which in my opinion is no way fair enough as in this case "query poster"  has written that article herself there.
    Still "Ask management" is a best way out ...and
    Yes, if u dont want to get ur hub flagged "DUPLICATE"
    don't wanna winzip ur hubscore....
    then re-write in a better way and add more valuable content to it.

I bet you will never again think of leaving hubpages smile

6. sunforged profile image68
    sunforgedposted 7 years ago

seconds the rewriting motion.....I use all my copy in multiple locations, its amazing what a synonym or two can do

7. Karen Banes profile image89
    Karen Banesposted 7 years ago

I'm no internet marketer but I've been informed that search engines hate duplicate content so it's in your own interest not to post it if you want search engine traffic. I sympathise as I have a lot of articles on helium and rarely write for the site now. As you say, you can't delete them, but you can use the ideas/content and totally re-write. I find good hubs tend to be longer, more detailed and maybe a bit more personal than helium articles anyway. I'd re-write if I were you.