Google Ads

Jump to Last Post 1-39 of 39 discussions (55 posts)
  1. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 16 years ago

Any one else having problems with them?

None of my are accurate? They're all dog food ads.

Each one of my hubs have the same ads.

1. profile image0
      Terri Paajanenposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I see these alot. I can't even remember the last time I saw an ebay context ad that worked. They are dog food, tattoo or job search ads and they are not formatted right either.

2. Isabella Snow profile image84
    Isabella Snowposted 16 years ago

I noticed that - its an ebay ad, I think.

Kind of annoying, but if you refresh I think they go away, so I dont think *everyone* will see them. I'm sure they will cycle out soon.

3. Whitney05 profile image83

Isabella- I've refreshed, closed out, started over, reclicked, etc. They won't go away... *pouts* Ha... I just hope they cycle out soon.

Maybe I'll try a different computer. See if it's just mine.

1. Isabella Snow profile image84
      Isabella Snowposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I just looked at several of your latest hubs and only saw that ad once, so don't worry too much.

4. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

Not just yours, Whitney - I have the same thing!  Not that I have anything against dogs!

5. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 16 years ago

I'm seeing a mix of ads on my Hubs.

6. Whitney05 profile image83

I've been looking around HubPages, and have noticed that several people seem to have the same or similar ads. Hm...

At one point, the ads were fine, and then when I went back to them a few minutes later, they were back to the dogs.

Marisa- Same here. I even have several dog hubs, but their on other hubs too. :-(

7. Keny Luger profile image61
    Keny Lugerposted 16 years ago

I came here because of the same problem.

I'm seeing dog food ads from ebay...well maybe they are relevant come to think of it. Russ Dalbey is a dog.

Well glad to know that I'm not the only one. Hope they'll go away.

Keny L

8. Isabella Snow profile image84

I just noticed it on each of the hubs I just surfed through.

Including 3 from Relache.

So it's across the board and I guess we just have to wait for them to go away.

Odd, really, as I can't imagine the ads appealing to anyone - the one's I'm seeing don't really say anything more than dog food or summat.

9. Whitney05 profile image83

My ads seem to have corrected  themselves for now. My last two published hubs still have generic ads, but they're ads nonetheless.

10. Rudra profile image68
    Rudraposted 16 years ago

Yes you are right dog food and tatoos. But will go away as soon as it picks up.

11. mgwhite profile image61
    mgwhiteposted 16 years ago

Sorry this has happened to you, but glad I'm not the only on. I noticed today that my no-bake pie recipe hub has dog food ads. I was very puzzled about the trigger ...? Whipped cream ... pudding? Hmmm...

12. Whitney05 profile image83

It looks like their gone, mostly on my hubs. What about you guys?

I am seeing that the ebay ads in the middle of the hubs are back. :-( They aren't content related either...

13. Isabella Snow profile image84

I just emailed a screen shot of that to Paul.

Hopefully he'll see it soon!

Those ads are useless, I can't imagine anyone clicking them!

14. Jason Menayan profile image60
    Jason Menayanposted 16 years ago

Hi all -

I'll offer a bit of an explanation, since I know how the "other side" works (AdWords = AdSense from the advertisers' perspective).

Basically, there is not an unlimited number of ad impressions from each advertiser/category, necessarily. Advertisers can limit their daily budget, or can choose to only display ads in Google search (instead of broadening it to publisher sites like HubPages).

Also, advertisers will start and stop campaigns based on (presumably) their performance, so if an advertiser isn't getting the return they want based on what they're paying per click, they can pull a campaign. Campaigns come and go; it's a very dynamic process.

Advertisers can also advertise across particular sites (site-targeted ads, as opposed to keyword-targeted ads), and pay a relatively low flat rate for doing so.

HubPages as a whole apparently does well with pet-related topics. AskSusanPeters, among others, contribute a lot of Hubs on the topic of pets in general, so advertising on HubPages as a whole probably makes for a good business proposition for pet-product advertisers, because those pet-related Hubs probably perform so well for them that they make up for the same ads appearing on non-pet-related Hubs.

Because keyword-related clicks are typically more valuable than site-related clicks to Google (and they tend to perform better because they're better targeted to the content), Google will prefer them, but if there is no "inventory" of keyword-related ads related to a Hub's topic, or the Hub is so new that Google hasn't had the chance to crawl it and determine which keyword-related ads are best suited to it, it will run the site-related ads as a backup.

And our ad optimization engine (YieldBuild) will try eBay ads and other formats for your Google ads to see which performs best. If they don't perform well, you'll eventually see them phased out.

- Jason

15. Isabella Snow profile image84

Thanks for that Jason, but I think we may be talking about different types of ads..

They aren't dog food ads, really - they're ebay ads.

They literally are a big white space with the word "dog food" written there and the ebay logo.. ??

Is that the same thing you mean?

16. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Jason,

People just plainly don't understand how YieldBuild works. I think somebody from the team should come up with a detailed explanation for beginners, since I see related topics more and more lately...

PS I wish I could have it on my site...

17. Isabella Snow profile image84

I dont personally care what ads show up where on my hubs. I dont care if they are huge towers in the middle of everything, or I wouldnt use capsules.

I just dont see the point in those specific ebay ads that only say "dog food".

Who would click on that??

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Isa,

To be able to tell a crap from gold, you have to test crap, too. And it takes some time...

1. Jason Menayan profile image60
        Jason Menayanposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Exactly. YieldBuild will phase out worse-performing ads, so those eBay ads will vanish if they truly don't perform. But sometimes they do. Like Misha said, you really don't know if they will perform until you test them, which is exactly what YieldBuild does.

Misha - You can apply to use YieldBuild on your site by using this form.

1. Misha profile image63

Jason,

Thanks, I tried yesterday. My measly 75000 monthly pageviews were not enough to pass the threshold... sad So, David just kindly put me on a waiting list until you guys start working with small folks like me smile

Meanwhile I'm trying Pubmatic. Just installed it today, so no opinion so far...

2. waynet profile image69
      waynetposted 16 years agoin reply to this

A hungry dog would click on it...!

It just depends on whether the dog had a can opener or the necessary means to open the tin....we must be there for our dog friends as they are the future of the world and really are the friends I never had....make sense...good...thank god for red wine...I feel slightly sick now...drink is bad now when binge drink becomes too much....must sleep! good night!

18. Isabella Snow profile image84

Thats such a slavic reply, lol!!!!

Ok, I'll just have to find something to entertain me while the time passes!

1. Misha profile image63

And what did you expect from a slavic person? big_smile

19. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 16 years ago

Those ads are just a subtle suggestion that you write more hubs about dog food and tattoos, our two favorite topics here at HubPages (actually between us all, I think we have 2 dogs and maybe 1 tattoo).

But in all seriousness, those ads should be fading away now.  I think someone may have misplaced a decimal point when estimating the earning per click for the ebay ads yesterday.

1. profile image0

These ads are still all over the place, and given their virtually useless content, I'm sure they are hurting everyone's earnings.

I've surfed around and pretty much every ad that comes between capsules is showing a senseless ebay ad like this. They are not fading away.

20. Whitney05 profile image83

Isabella: I agree. I don't understand who would click an ad with only 1 or 2 words with no description.

I've been waiting 2 days for my last 2 hubs to have accurate google ads. Should I just continue to wait?

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Yes.  We have control over what type, color, and where ads appear, but the contextual accuracy of the ads isn't something we have much influence over.   Normally it doesn't take very long for google to line up some relevant ads, but maybe they are having trouble getting new stuff crawled right now.

21. Whitney05 profile image83

Paul- I have older hubs that seem to have reverted back to blogging ads and such. Hubs that I've never had a problem with these hubs and the ads on them updating.

I'll see if I can figure anything out.  Have you noticed a significant decline in click through rate?  A big CTR changes without a significant change to traffic composition would be worrisome.

22. Whitney05 profile image83

Paul: I have noticed a decline from say last week. I just checked out the adv. report, and saw about a .2 - .3 percent decline.

23. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF

That sounds like it may be in the range of normal fluctuation.

There is another good report you can run, under advanced reports, select show data by "individual ad" and then check the "show data by targeting type - contextual or placement"  box.  This will show you the number of ad impressions that were "contextual" and the number that were "site" based.  Look at the numbers over the last week or so, and let me know if there was a significant move.

Across HubPages it bounces around a fair amount but around 4-5% of the ads are "site" based lately.  There does seem to be a slight trend up in that percentage in the latter half of November.   I'm not sure what the reason for that is.

24. Whitney05 profile image83

Oops, Paul I looked at the wrong CTR percent. From the 19th till today, My Ad CTR decreased about 10%. Impressions are about a third of what they were on the 19th.

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Whitney, in the decade I've been doing web sites and watching web traffic, I can attest to the fact that you will often see both web traffic and clicks go down around the holidays, as people have a lot of other things to do than be online.

You'd be surprised how much web traffic comes from when people are at work versus when they are at home...LOL...

25. Whitney05 profile image83

Relache: That's what I was thinking last night. That I noticed the decline after Thanksgiving, and attributed the decline to the holidays as so much is going on elsewhere.

26. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

What does everyone have against dogs? Dogs need attention too. big_smile

27. len7288 profile image58
    len7288posted 16 years ago

My google earnings went down by almost 50% since the start of the holiday season and my number of clicks just went down by around 25%, my traffic is much the same. I guess advertisers are paying less now because there will be less people who will use the internet during the holiday season. Im expecting it to go back to normal early next year.

28. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

I was trying to calm everybody on this issue, but now I myself think something is going wrong. Since I plugged in my ebay id into hubpages a few days ago, I got more than 6000 impressions and ONE click and no sales = $0.00. It would have brought me at least $50 at the current eCPM I have on HP. This can't be right, there is a bug somewhere.

Guys, please look into this. It is taking too long. We all (including you) are loosing money...

29. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF

I've noticed that often the ebay ads run in addition to a full complement of adsense ads.  So you're not necessarily losing money as a result.  We actually saw the highest adsense CPM we've had this month yesterday.  That, said if you remove your ebay token the ads shouldn't run in your share of impressions.  If you want to run a little experiment for us and report back what you find (with and without ebay set), I'd be curious what you see.

We are working with ebay to improve the contextual-ness of the ads.  It's still a relatively new product for them.

1. profile image0

I'm not sure what this means. Either there is an ebay ad in a particular slot, or a google one, not both. So if a bad ebay ad is displaying, is it not taking up the spot that an adsense ad could have been?

Does this have to do with the fact that I just added an ebay affiliate code? I'm more than happy to take the thing out if it will bring back reasonable ads.

As for the context-ness, it's not working at all. I have not seen one single ebay ad that made sense yet.

NOTE: I just deleted my ebay affiliate id and I am no longer seeing the bad ads on my hubs. YAY.

2. Misha profile image63

Paul,
      I would gladly run any test for you smile I need to understand exactly what and how you want me to test, though wink
      Please clarify, that I understand you correctly:
      You want me to remove my ebay id from my hubpages account and after a couple of days to report whether my adsense eCPM changed or not, right?

Yeah, I'm just curious if you see any significant difference in your adsense numbers with or without your ebay token set.  It's a little hard to control for externalities, but as long as your traffic is relatively steady it should be a reasonable test.

1. Misha profile image63

OK, I removed ebay ID from the system. will report here in a couple of days...

30. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF

Terri -- There is a limit to the number of adsense ads you can run on a page.  Once you reach the limit, they just won't serve an ad in that spot and the area will collapse away.

I believe the current limit is 3 ads, plus up to 3 link units.

31. Whitney05 profile image83

I'm still having problems with google updated ads. I have hubs that were published monday, and 1 minute I'll see content appropriate ads, and the next their blogging ads or some other default ad. Should I contact google, or just sit on them... I'm getting decent traffic to the hubs, I would just like to see ads that are related.

32. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF

Whitney, did you try running the adsense report that I suggested?  It will show you the ratio of "site targeted" ads to "contextual ads" over any period you specify.  Here's you do it:

1. Login to adsense
    2. Go to the advanced reports tab
    3. Select a date range, I'd suggest "this month".
    4. Select "Individual Ad" under the "Show data by" drop menu
    5. Check the "show data by targeting type" check box
    6. Display the report

It will show you the number of individual ad impressions for each day that were contextual, and the number that were site targeted (plus the click through rate, cpm, etc.) for each type.

Across HubPages around 5% of the ads are site targeted.  If you're ratio (you'll have to do the math to calculate it) is way different, then there might be a problem.  There are two reasons google would show a site targeted ad, 1) they don't have any inventory that match your content, 2) they haven't crawled your content yet.

33. Whitney05 profile image83

Paul, I tried did attempt to run the report. I pulled it up, but I guess what is confusing me as to what exactly I am to calculate to figure the percentage. What figures should I be looking at?

I, also, considered that there may not be ad to put on these hubs, but one of the hubs is about a topic I have already written about, which has ads. The other topic is similar to that of what has been written by other hubbers, which have ads on their hubs.

34. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF

Whitney -- For each day there should be two rows in the report, one where the targeting is contextual, and one where it is site.  Add the ad impressions from those two lines to get the total number of ad impressions, then divide the ad impressions that were just site into the total.  That would give you the percentage that were site targeted for that day. 

For instance, if  you had these two rows:

Row 1 --
    Friday, November 30, 2007
    Contextual
    9,500 Ad Impressions

Row 2 --
    Friday, November 30, 2007
    Site
    500 Ad Impressions

The total would be 10,000 impressions, and then 500 / 10000 = 0.05 or 5% that are "site targeted".

Do that for a few different days scattered through the month, and you should be able to see if there was any significant change lately.  If your percentage is a lot higher than 5%, then it may be worth investigating further.  If not, it's probably just normal.

35. Whitney05 profile image83

Paul that's what I thought. When I calculated it earlier I got a ginormous tally, so I wasnt' sure if it was right, but i accidently multiplied one of the numbers versus add. But I finally got it. I'm not over 5% but WELL under...

Well that's good.   I wouldn't stress too much about the occasional site targeted ads that you see then.

36. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Paul,

I wanted to attach the file, but did not find a way to do this. Here is my Hubpages adsense data listed as a table. Today's data is incomlete of course. Overall I don't see any pattern related to ebay, so my fears probably were ungrounded smile

Date    Normalized eCPM    Normalized earnings
    10/25/2007    0.8    0.019341801
    10/26/2007    0.356722689    0.033487298
    10/27/2007    0.526470588    0.006928406
    10/28/2007    0.609243697    0.053983834
    10/29/2007    0.590756303    0.09613164
    10/30/2007    0.762605042    0.174942263
    10/31/2007    0.830252101    0.205254042
    11/01/2007    0.609663866    0.156755196
    11/02/2007    0.678571429    0.172632794
    11/03/2007    0.633613445    0.136258661
    11/04/2007    0.793277311    0.290415704
    11/05/2007    0.812605042    0.525981524
    11/06/2007    0.697478992    0.400115473
    11/07/2007    0.673109244    0.046766744
    11/08/2007    0.718907563    0.043879908
    11/09/2007    0.582773109    0.039549654
    11/10/2007    0.571428571    0.026270208
    11/11/2007    0.522689076    0.033775982
    11/12/2007    0.787815126    0.373845266
    11/13/2007    0.869327731    0.521939954
    11/14/2007    0.728151261    0.461605081
    11/15/2007    0.592857143    0.382505774
    11/16/2007    0.487815126    0.285796767
    11/17/2007    0.633613445    0.278290993
    11/18/2007    0.52605042    0.202078522
    11/19/2007    0.583613445    0.432448037
    11/20/2007    0.615546218    0.450635104
    11/21/2007    0.595378151    0.359988453
    11/22/2007    0.606302521    0.236143187
    11/23/2007    0.634033613    0.332852194
    11/24/2007    0.78697479    0.454965358
    11/25/2007    0.617647059    0.357967667
    11/26/2007    0.578151261    0.50721709
    11/27/2007    0.609243697    0.551096998
    11/28/2007    0.807142857    0.670034642
    11/29/2007    0.831932773    0.702944573
    11/30/2007    0.842016807    1
    12/01/2007    1    0.508371824
    12/02/2007    0.763445378    0.279157044

37. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF

Thanks for doing that Misha.

38. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

you are welcome smile

39. Apae profile image61
    Apaeposted 16 years ago

Well, people do need to buy dog food on a regular basis, if they have a dog. So dog food ads are not completely out of place. What is, though, is the sheer throught that someone would buy dog food online. I find that a little absurd.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)