jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

A Plug for HubPages

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

I just have to post today, to say how much I'm enjoying HubPages.  I'm doing a bit of a "caretaking" job right now and have lots of time on my hands, so I've been spending time back on Helium to do a bit of promotion - I'm only a few cents short of my next $25, LOL.

It's made me realise just how much I appreciate HP! 

Being able to see how many people have viewed my articles was a bit of a cold shower at first (when you have no idea, like on Helium, you fondly imagine your audience is much bigger) but now, I enjoy watching the total grow. 

It's also great to receive comments and feedback on my Hubs, instead of impersonal rating figures.  And finally, I like being able to go back and tweak my Hubs as my skills improve, instead of having to jump through the Leapfrog hoop.

It's interesting how people's attitudes vary - I've invited some Helium writers to come and join us, and their reaction is that it's too distracting to have to find photos, videos etc - all they want to do is write.  For me, that's half the fun of it!  Each to their own, and quite right too, I say!

Thanks to the HP team for a great site!  Love it!

2. Lissie profile image87
    Lissieposted 8 years ago

Yes I was a little disturbed by the photos / videos before.  I had never been on youtube before a flagship hub forced me to go and look! Thats not because I am a total luddite  though - I had dialup until recently and videos just don't work on dial up.  If you are writing for a worldwide audience you will be well advised to remember not everyone has a fast / cheap connection which seems common in the US and UK.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I wondered about that.  I've included them after noticing they were such a feature of the Flagship concept, but I did worry about it annoying some users. 

BTW I find that HubPages load more quickly than a lot of other sites I use.

3. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 8 years ago

Thanks for the compliments Marisa.

Lissie -- We've done a fair amount of work keeping our base page load times as low as possible.  It helps the most for people on slow connections, but having pages load quickly makes for a better experience even on a fast connection.  Of course, there isn't much we can do to speed up hubs with a lot of videos or images, but sometimes they are worth waiting for.

4. Lissie profile image87
    Lissieposted 8 years ago

Yes Paul  I think the pages are well optimised and load in a good order - particularly on firefox - which is the best thing someone on a slow connection can btw.  The thing is you just cannot run video on a dial up - doesnt matter how you optimize it!