Get rid of the top 10 forum posters list please!

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (74 posts)
  1. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

The "Top 10" forum posters is a recently introduced feature and I'd like to request it gets removed again, please!

Eer since it was introduced, I've noticed a big increase in people posting one-line or even one-word responses in topics, obviously just for the sake of posting.  It's extremely annoying, when you're trying to catch up with a thread, to read through pages of dross in order to find posts that are actually discussing the topic!

I was reading a Hub which commented on the recent tone of the forums, which has been more argumentative than it used to be - and it was suggested that the "top 10" league table had encouraged that, because people know that if they're controversial, they'll generate more interest and therefore be able to post more.

I can't see the benefit in it, and it seems to me the only outcome is negative - so how about canning it?

1. Eric Graudins profile image61
      Eric Graudinsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Haven't you heard the news Marisa.

The "top 10" feature has been specially installed so people can keep track of their progress on the next big  HubPages challenge:

30,000 FORUM POSTS IN 30 DAYS !! lol lol lol

And seeing as you have only 1,700 after 2 years here, you better get your act together girl!

Eric G.

Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!! yikes

1. Cris A profile image60
          Cris Aposted 14 years agoin reply to this

@Marisa
          I think you just posted a one-word response. And it's not even a word! LOL cool

2. mandybeau profile image60
      mandybeauposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Its immaterial, Its up there to show whose participating, Afterall nothing discussed here is exactly earthshattering unless you have a fairly er quiet life. So why worry about the precious threads.

The threads aren't precious, I never said they were. I don't care if they're light-hearted, funny, serious, tragic - so long as they're SOMETHING.   

You may be sensible enough to find the "top ten" immaterial, but it's obvious from the way some people react, that others succumb to the lure of competition, with regrettable results.

And to clarify once again, Darkside said it very well:

That doesn't mean that I'm accusing any individual who is currently on the list of indulging in such childish behaviour. I dont even know who is currently on the list.  I haven't even really noticed who is posting inane comments most often - maybe they're trying and failing to get on the list, for all I know.  But there's no doubt that the incidence of meaningless comments on the forum has risen steeply since the list was introduced.  And since there's no point, why bother having it?

3. SunSeven profile image61
      SunSevenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh! Its still there Marisa, even after 2 years. sad

2. Lissie profile image77
    Lissieposted 14 years ago

Totally agree with you Marisa - WTF anyone wants to be on the list is beyond me - but they do and its really messing up the quality of the forums

1. darkside profile image65
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's so life's losers can feel like winners.

Do you really want to take that away from them Lissie? I mean, what will they be left with if they don't have have that remarkable achievement as the only fuel in their fire of self-worth?

1. mandybeau profile image60

What did you say you did for a profession Darkside???????????? wasn't sure. Obviously not something too out there hahaha

It's funny that a self proclaimed bitch who reckons she can take it as well as she can give it can get her nose out of joint because a few people think that the top 10 forum lists are causing people to compete for the top place, thus creating a lot of worthless noise.

By actually trying to draw my personal/professional life into it displays what a very small person you are.

Whatever I am actually 182 tall, which for a female is rather Big hahahah

Lissieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well its a charitable point Darkside - but I thought that was what facebook and myspace was for?

Totally sad if you bother with either of these sites.

I didn't realise that your opinion was worth more than anyone elses. But here you are expressing it, while denigrating others for having their own.

What's more worthless, the self-esteem of people who celebrate being on a top ten list or my opinion of them?

Oh, your opinion it doesn't really matter, you won't stop my chances of going to Royal Ascot.

2. mandybeau profile image60

Oh, your opinion it doesn't really matter, you won't stop my chances of going to Royal Ascot.

3. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

I agree.  Who cares how many times someone has posted to a forum?  That's like applauding those who use the letter "k" in their hubs the most.  smile

1. Elena. profile image85
      Elena.posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hear, hear. Here's another vote to can it, if votes are counted.  I don't know if it encouraged argumentative behaviors, or people to post one liners. Either way, I just don't see the purpose.

4. Herald Daily profile image59
    Herald Dailyposted 14 years ago

Okay, this saves me asking what the purpose of that list is.  I was wondering if i was supposed to be vieing for the number one spot or something.

I think they are er trying to get rid of me hahah
      Mandybeau or maybe I am paranoid.
      I have never got on with Geeks, so I only interchange if someone is interesting and I'd know. Go on take that seriously.

5. Jerry G2 profile image90
    Jerry G2posted 14 years ago

I agree with ya'll - while the idea behind top ten lists is generally noble, I've never found them to work out as intended.

6. Jewels profile image84
    Jewelsposted 14 years ago

Ahem, cough cough.  Where does one find the list?

1. KCC Big Country profile image84
      KCC Big Countryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's located at the bottom of the weekly newsletter email.  It shows the top 10 with the most forum posts.

1. profile image0
        Janettaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I didn't even know there was such a thing.  I need to get out more smile

7. Cris A profile image60
    Cris Aposted 14 years ago

If not for the buzz, I say they're after the medals! cool

8. sunstreeks profile image81
    sunstreeksposted 14 years ago

Adding my vote in that it serves little purpose

9. goldentoad profile image60
    goldentoadposted 14 years ago

just here to give myself a boost.

1. KCC Big Country profile image84
      KCC Big Countryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

*hands GT a stack of phonebooks*

10. profile image0
    Feline Prophetposted 14 years ago

There's a list like that?!!!

1. Cris A profile image60
      Cris Aposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Click Forums, then click Hubbers Hangout (for example). Before you select a thread, you can find the "Most Active Hubbers List" on the right side. Go check it cool

or click this link http://hubpages.com/forum/1 it's on the right side cool

1. profile image0
        Feline Prophetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You live and learn! Thanks Chris! tongue

11. icewave5 profile image60
    icewave5posted 14 years ago

lol i support it.

The 10 on the List are not Spammers  Icewave. its so stupid. it does nothing. its just a list.

12. icewave5 profile image60
    icewave5posted 14 years ago

whoops wrong thread..

13. VioletSun profile image77
    VioletSunposted 14 years ago

Didn't know this list existed!  Doesn't serve a purpose  me, as I am not interested in being a top 10 poster, but do wish I was a more productive writer. smile I am assuming Hubpages management wants to encourage active participation in the forums as it affects Hubpages' rank in the search engines?

14. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Darkside - and anyone else that believes all on the list are here for glory - I see I'm on it. I looked because my attention was drawn to it.

I don't use the forum to become a member of a top ten list. It's a horrible generalisation and indicative of the current mood.

Let him have his pathetic opinion, I am sure that out there in the Big Wide World it counts for nought.
      I'm cracking up these people are sooo predictable.

2. darkside profile image65

By the looks of it I'm on at least 1 top ten list.

I'm not criticising people for being on it. I'm at a loss to understand why anyone would strive to rank highly on it.

1. JamaGenee profile image78
        JamaGeneeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Most of us don't strive to get on the lists. Those who are most active in the forums because they like to participate in the discussions end up on the lists by default, not by design.

Precisely, get rid off it who gives a toss.

15. MotherHubber profile image59
    MotherHubberposted 14 years ago

k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k

1. JamaGenee profile image78
      JamaGeneeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good one, MH! cool

2. VioletSun profile image77
      VioletSunposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL! Good one.

16. JamaGenee profile image78
    JamaGeneeposted 14 years ago

Seriously... I don't post in the forums to get a higher spot in the "Most Active in this Forum" lists.

For that matter, why have Personal Hub Scores?  Or scores on hubs?  In the end, they're just numbers that generate a bit of competition among hubbers to make us work harder to put $$ in HP's coffers and sometimes our own.

The Forums I would imagine are there to participate in, I do them for brief stints in between my work. You have to do very little to actually get on there. I don't waste time on something unless I am having fun. There is no glory in being on a stupid list. I just thought that it showed who was online.

Lissieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thats a side effect - not the purpose. You can pretty much guarantee that any hub with a score of 100 is getting consistent and significant search engine traffic. You will see a number of hub authors with 100 scores who never post in the forums - their score is high because their hubs score is high. The reason HP rewards the high scores with links from "best" pages - they make both the authors and HP money

17. frogdropping profile image78

Mandybeau - I don't mind what Darkside said. Someone was going to say it. I just prefer opinions to be a little more considered and less general.

But I'm sure someone will think - or even post - the following "if it walks like a duck ... "

And Jama - yup.

18. frogdropping profile image78

Darkside - that's different. I understand that. I don't mean the striving, I mean your reasons for your statement. I'm sure however, that some are on it as a by-product.

And as it appears to cause consternation - whatever your personal opinion of it - I also think it should be removed.

Yes pahleez get rid of it, while I am still on the top Sorry sarcasm.

19. profile image48
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

I actually am high on he list and to be fair to Darkside a lot of my postings have been a load of shit but my intention was not to reach a top 10 but just to have a laugh.

I joined this website because the last writing site I was on had a lot of this bitching so I left. Dark it's wrong to call people losers mate when you don't even know what they do for a living. And Mandy Dark is entitled to his opinions no matter what.

I have found Hubs to be a great site and I hope you guys wise up and cut all the bitching. The previous site I was on is now so boring it attracts nobody and well although a lot on here like to be serious a bit of fun does no harm.

As for myself if my bullshit has annoyed or offended anyone then I can only say sorry. But I am no loser Darkside and you  seem like a nice kind of guy so your remark surprised me. I hope you all sort it out, deff a great site, don't ruin it with petty arguments. Don't bother replying, I won't be here !

Take Care !

1. Connie Smith profile image81
      Connie Smithposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Obviously, I can't read since I am replying, lol.  I sure hope that doesn't mean you are giving up hubpages, Bad.  That would be a crazy thing to do for a few differences of opinion.  I should think the main goal (as you know I'm new to hubpages) is for the hubs and you have that going on.  I, too, have thought that most people here are very nice and I can deff smile say that all are nicer (in comments) than what I've seen on some forums.

There's no need for you to take personally anything I've said. Read over what I've posted.

Here's the readers digest version:

The purpose of this thread, from what I can gather, is that the Top 10 Forum Poster Lists have become a competition. The result is some people posting a lot of crap, just to get on those lists.

My point is, if you're not striving to be on the Top 10 List then you're not a loser.

20. frogdropping profile image78

Connie - Badco will likely be fine after he's blown some steam smile

21. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

To tell you the truth, I never knew such a list existed until Mandy started a thread saying she was number 1.

Now that I know about it, I certainly won't keep checking it. I post on the forums when I have something to say. It is rather sad if being one of the top 10 posters on the forum means something to you.

And when people defend filling the forums with crap I point them to the Triond forum...we don't want HubPages to end up like that...

22. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

They don't bother me. I just post to whatever I want, not worrying about the stats of it all.

But, I have noticed more people with few hubs or more new people have been spamming up the forums with arguments in nearly every thread. It's enough to stay out of the forums because you can't say everything without certain people pitching fits and needing their midol.

I have noticed more people
    1. posting multiple replies to either the same comment, quoting the same material each time but posting two or more replies
    2. quoting multiple people and posting multiple posts to each person
    3. quoting someone and then submitting their own reply within the quote and then submitting another post to reply again to the same material.
    4. quoting the entire conversation multiple times.

There's an edit button for a reason.. It only lasts for so long, but it's plenty long enough to edit and add more info to your first reply, especially when the same people are doing all of the above things within the same minute or two.

1. profile image48
      badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have been guilty of a few of these but mainly due to my inexperience of replying to a quote which as you can see I have worked out now and will deff not be doing anymore.

In reply to Darkside no my aim is not to reach any top 10, my aim is to make money with adsense which with that I guess I can be called a Loser but I am starting my hubs all over again with some good advice given to me on these very forums.

Just curious Whitney, does Midol work for men ?

1. Whitney05 profile image83
        Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's not that hard to pay attention to where the cursor is and the edit button, in most cases that is. Otherwise, yea it does work for men, but not for the same thing. I have seen more females causing issues than men though. Maybe the men can just take an anxiety pill or something.

1. profile image48

Well I know now and I am glad this topic was posted because it has made me rethink my aims on here and my style of writing as well. So all I can say is thanks.

1. profile image0
            MangoGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you seen your medal yet? smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

Thanks Whitney, that expresses in more detail exactly what I mean.  I think one of the reasons they do it, is because they misunderstand what HubPages is about. You can see that by the fact that they're so active on the forums and aren't writing Hubs.  In the past, I've PM'd a couple and discovered they thought their forum posts also earned money! 

IMO the fact that there's a league table only encourages them to think there's something to be gained by scoring high in the forums. 

Badcompany, I don't think you're a loser (I'm here to earn money too) and I can't see how you thought Darkside's comments were meant to imply that.

1. Whitney05 profile image83
        Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't pay much attention to the medals, but since you said something, I went and checked out what it was for in my hubtivity, but couldn't find it. No big deal. The medals don't do anything anyway.

I think that there is too much emphasis on forum posting. If more people focused as much energy in their hubs as they do on the forums, we'd had tons more high quality hubs floating around, that has much more potential of earning when compared to the $0.00 of posting in the forums.

What forum pays you to post? I'd like to join that one. Ha

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
          Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I could make a fortune. big_smile

Usually heavily sponsored adult webmaster forums.

About 5 cents per post.

2. profile image48

Cheers Marisa and I think I just misunderstood Darkside but it's forgotten now and am spending more time now trying to improve my hubs.

23. profile image0
    shreekrishnaposted 14 years ago

i think in place of removing ,
    hubpages should also set an tough algorithm on how the hubbers should be ranked for their postings.

according to me it presently ranks only on the number of posts written by members.

24. profile image48
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

Yes must say I was overwhelmed with excitement at an icon on a computer screen, I would much prefer $$$

25. Pete Maida profile image61
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

Please not another challenge.  At list if it is a forum challenge it would fill up my inbox.  I just won't look at hubtivity any more.

Wait till you see the next one that they're planning.
      I believe its 30,000 forum posts in 30 days lol

26. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

Eric, are you and Pete twins?

No, we're the same person - like Blondepoet and Blondpoet lol

27. kmartel profile image60
    kmartelposted 14 years ago

I agree with either removing this list or simply requiring a minimum word content (like what they require in Helium : 3000 words!) to keep the posts high in quality and get rid of all the one-liners! wink

28. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

No, please, not 3000 words forum posts yikes

29. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I think there's a belief out there that everytime you post, it's more links to your profile page and it gets a better page rank to pass on to your links.

I think that's also the fascination for some with the Top 10 list - and any of the other things here that recognize people.

You can tell from my meager number of posts, that I'm not one of them that worries about this.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)